Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: June Garden Update

Everything here is planted..........now just waiting for the bugs and mice to eat them. haha
    This year I added 2 stock tanks to the big garden and planted tomatoes and peppers in them. People on a tomato forum have told me that I just can't grow that many tomatoes (6) in one stock tank, but so far, they're doing well. We'll see......... I just have to view it as an experiment this year. I need to make some compost tea to help them along.

Been working on the flower gardens, weeding, mulching, and moving plants.

The extent of my vegetable gardening this year is 15 tomato plants. Oh, and some basil. Gotta have basil. The tomatoes are looking pretty good and we just got a good soaking overnight and are now supposed to have sun for several days so that should make a real difference.

In other gardening news, one of my beehives swarmed yesterday and we actually managed to catch the swarm! So now I've got another colony to manage. It probably won't produce any surplus honey this year, but that's okay. I've got plenty of established colonies for honey production.
    The brain is wider than the sky. -- Emily Dickinson

Thanks iris for the information...Star Gzer Lilies were the highlight of my wedding bouquet....Love those...

What a difference one tiny letter makes Ina post!

i wrote above "the hosts will be the star of the show" when I meant to say "the HOSTAS will be the star of he show" so wasn't THAT embarressing!

Ok, here is a rather big milestone: as of today I've been retired for 3 months.

AND as of today ALL of my gardens are under control as far as weeds go. Let me tell you that this has been a worrisome thing for me, getting these gardens up to snuff in this, the wettest June in history.

That's good news IL...........I know how much a job like that can weigh on your mind, until you get it done. Now you can enjoy it for awhile.........maybe 2 weeks? haha We always feel such relief when we get something cleaned up outside, but those danged weeds......they're just stronger than we are.
    Oh....and congrats on your retirement. Are you having fun?

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    That's good news IL...........I know how much a job like that can weigh on your mind, until you get it done. Now you can enjoy it for awhile.........maybe 2 weeks? haha We always feel such relief when we get something cleaned up outside, but those danged weeds......they're just stronger than we are.
    Oh....and congrats on your retirement. Are you having fun?
    i will still have to weed daily, and I!ve got big dig outs to do of major plantings that need to leave. And IVe got a big stand of Johnson or Broome grass to eradicate.,ugh.

but cosmetically everything is looking good and most all has been mulched.

im using less Roundup than in previous years but when I need it, I need it.the bindweed will not leave until I kill it down with roundup.

am enjoying retirement. We do one field trip in the region a week to see new things.

One field trip a week.........that sounds like fun!
    I'm looking forward to DH retiring (which might be never), and not having any more pets to take care of. I would love to go to different great birding areas.
    Okay.........I'm going to start a "July Garden update" now.

Thread Information