Thread: New from the Desert Northwest

New from the Desert Northwest

What, might you ask is the desert northwest? Well it can be 112F and it can be -29F. We can have 2f of snow and we can have 60d with no measurable precip. These last 3 weeks it has been rain rain rain and more rain and the ski mountains had a crappy snow year while the NE was begging for mercy. We have amazing mountains and lots of trails for hiking/biking. 100s of high mountain lakes for fishing and camping. Natural hotsprings for heating homes and for swimming. That is a taste of our beautiful desert northwest.

I'm new here so a little about us: DH thoroughly LOVES the IT world. He was a bit of a late bloomer starting his career at 33. I on the other hand am an RN and started my career 6d after my 20th birthday. So I just started year 34! Where does the time go I ask?

We have removed all grass from our city lot. We have raised beds (of which half were planted today), we have a blackberry patch, we have a big backyard concrete patio which is full shade by 3PM daily.

No children. I consider myself a professional aunt and the youngest of those babies is now 19 while the oldest is 40. They have 11 newbies amongst themselves and I get to see every dang one of them at a family reunion in July. Yippee! We have 2 fabulously entertaining purebred Lynx cats. (cheap buy on Craigslist-I would never pay purebred price but they only wanted vet fees which I would have paid at the shelter so adopted them at age 8m from a family that couldn't keep them).

I have buried both my parents already

I look forward to some fun conversation around here about living life to its fullest and enjoying the daily journey.

In closing for now, these words I read many years ago..... "Now that I can afford broccoli, I'd rather grow it". Gardnr

Eastern Oregon or Eastern Washington? Maybe parts of Northeastern California or Western Nevada? Those are the only ones that I would classify as "Desert Northwest", but your definition may differ from mine. We're in Western Idaho (Boise area) which can be pretty desert-like, especially south toward the Snake River and down towards Nevada.

Welcome aboard! I've been here a very long time, under a variety of names, but I keep coming back. We're 100% debt-free for many years, but technically some may not consider that we are -- we put nearly everything on our credit card, to get the "points", and pay it in full each month. Other than that, no debt. Works for us, and feels great.

Hi Gardnr, welcome to the boards. I'm sure you will find quite a lot of great posts that you can chime right into some great conversations!

Welcome! Here in Minnesota we almost achieve both ends of the temperature spectrum, but unless we're in severe drought, it never looks like a desert. :-)
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information