Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your flower beds, what's up?

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Tussies, I grow lots of perennials from seeds, divisions or cuttings. When I lived up north, I grew coneflowers, sunflowers, black eyed Susan's and coreopsis from seed. I would divide or collect seed from them and after a few years I had huge beds full.i started them in pots inside so I could control the light and moisture then quickly put them outside in the pots until they were big enough to transplant. I also grew lots of herbs that way. I have parsley and dill from seed ( for the black swallowtails) and have basil from a neighbors cuttings.

How I raised monarchs. I planted native milkweeds and kept some of them in pots. The Monarchs are here early anxious to reproduce. Once I had caterpillars I took them inside on the potted milkweed to protect them from the birds, wasps, and chemicals my neighbors put on their lawns. Once in chrysalis just before hatching out they went. They usually hatch mid morning so I hung around to keep their natural predators away the first few hours when their wings were hardening. You can tell when the caterpillars are going to turn into Crysallisses and When they are ready to hatch. I found this info on the Internet.

I also joined an orchid club, a native plant club and a butterfly gardening club. See what clubs are around you. You can often get seeds or cuttings, sometimes they share or have plant sales. It is fun and informative to be around people in your "tribe". I have seen fabulous guest speakers, and have received or bought lots of stuff. Your county extension could be a huge help. Right plant in the right place is a huge help to having a successful garden. Not sure what to say about the deer. I live close to a huge wetlands area so seem to have lots of natural predators for the bugs and the alligators leave the plants alone. I am always on the lookout for snakes. Have only seen harmless ones so far but I keep my distance.

Although not native to this area, I could not resist some hibiscus.

CathyA, the Monarchs are in deep trouble for many reasons. Between the pesticides, loss of natural habitat and lost of wintering grounds they are struggling. One of my birdwatching friends who hikes all over saw only one monarch in upstate NY last year.

I know all over the country many clubs and organizations are trying to help them by establishing natural garden areas. Did you know that many modern hybrids are bred for color, size, bloom time etc., and in the process have lost a lot of their nectar producing properties. If you can, find out what has the highest nectar in your area. What I did was go to some big garden centers and stand and watch where the bees and butterflies went. They clustered around certain plants. I checked to make sure they were not invasive species from elsewhere and that turned into the basis for my garden.

Also, for years there was a buffer between farmland and the road in the large farming areas of Minnesota and Iowa for example. In those weed beds there was lots of bee and butterfly activity. Now that crops are able to be planted to the roadside much of that habitat has been lost. Ladybird Johnson had it right when she tried to introduce native beds throughout Texas many years ago. Now sides of highways for example are starting to be turned into wildflower (aka weeds) beds specifically to help the butterflies and bees.

you can also get Crysallisses shipped to you. Occasionally I get an email through a garden club from someone who has more caterpillars than food. Twice they were monarch and once black swallowtail but I was too late to get some. People are really into this. I'll have to check out garden web. Thanks.

In my area I was able to get high nectar seeds from some native and butterfly gardeners. State fair zinnias, non hybrid marigolds and native coreopsis and sunflowers have high nectar and were easy to grow. But they may not be right for your area, so talk to other gardeners or your extension to find what is right for you.

This was one patch where we turned off the sprinklers and planted cactus. We went for a month with no rain and they survived. The desert rose suffered in the frost but came back nicely the other cactus was in a six inch pot and now is a foot or so tall. This was an experiment in a small area bordered by a driveway on one side, a walkway on two sides and the house on the fourth. Really hot area. Instead of fighting decided to try some cactus. So far so good.

What seems to draw the butterflies the most here is some Joe Pye Weed that I bought. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to show up in the fields. They also seem to really like purple coneflower.
    It makes me really sad that mankind seems to be trying to destroy everything that isn't human.
    In all my years here at this property, I've only seen 1 chrysalis and that was a long time ago. I've heard of people saying that when they try to grow milkweed in their yards, the neighborhood association tells them they must remove it, since it's a weed.

I live in the middle of farmland, but I guess I'm sort of fortunate in that my closest neighbor farmer (borders our property), is trying to be "organic"......but I think he uses that term rather loosely........but it's still better than most of the other farmers around here.

Here ya go Flowerseverywhere......
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/butterfly
    There's a lot of knowledgeable people on there........especially "MissSherry".

So beautiful...

How do you make your compost tea please?

I wanted to share this video I shot the other night: (I hope this works)
    https://youtu.be/T0BMkE5pqco
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

This is funny, or at least it struck me as funny:yesterday I came home to find one single daylily stalk stuck in the ground in my lily bed that's full out right now. One lone daylily, and it was a daylily I don't have.

Clearly someone, a friend or flower lover had come into our yard to do a tour of my lily garden and that person left a calling card in an amusing way.

Thread Information