Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Paid off the mortgage today!

Geila
    Congratulations!!! We have felt such a sense of peace from owning our home outright. And the freedom of having zero debt is wonderful!!!

So happy for you! It is a huge load off the mind! What is the next step to FI?

Quote Originally Posted by Packratona! View Post
    So happy for you! It is a huge load off the mind! What is the next step to FI?
    Thanks! We are setting aside money for the kids -- for college. We have a plan for that and we're partway there. That plan was already underway, we just gave it a bit of a shove now. And we're putting more into retirement/investment accounts.

We did splurge this month after the payoff--we are getting a couple of things that we've been putting off for years and years, so this first month without the mortgage payment does have a larger discretionary spending amount than usual--about double! But we're not going to get into that as a habit.

whisperingpines
    Congratulations. We paid ours off 3 years ago. It is a wonderful peaceful feeling.

Wow -- I was going to post a congratulations on your other thread where you mentioned making this a goal, and now I see you already paid the darn thing off. CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I still remember when you had the student loan debt hanging over your heads and were a bit worried about adding a mortgage. So happy to see that things have turned out so well for you guys.
    "Seek out habits that help you overcome fear or inertia. Destroy those that do the opposite." Seth Godin

Williamsmith
    When you figure out how to pay the taxes off...let me know. That's when I'll sleep better.

Quote Originally Posted by lhamo View Post
    Wow -- I was going to post a congratulations on your other thread where you mentioned making this a goal, and now I see you already paid the darn thing off. CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I still remember when you had the student loan debt hanging over your heads and were a bit worried about adding a mortgage. So happy to see that things have turned out so well for you guys.
    Thanks, lhamo! We are loving that the first of the month comes without the mortgage. DH just said the other day, "boy, it's a lot easier to manage bills and money when there's no mortgage!" It totally is. Thanks for your comment and remembering our large student loan debt. That really was where we began--it's nice to share this journey with like minded folks.

And congrats to you on your move and change of everything!! Very exciting stuff happening for you. I actually made my way over to MMM and registered just so I could find your journal, believe it or not. I haven't read all of it but have caught up a bit--I hope all is going well for you and your family.

Congrats!!!!!

Great job! We have paid off 30 years on two different homes, so did it twice, in less than 15 years each. I know that a lot of people say invest the money instead, but I just like the feeling of one less onerous monetary obligation each month, and the instant feeling of FREEDOM! Worth it, to my way of thinking.

Thread Information