Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Now I can move forward.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Rob, I agree that lack of universal healthcare is one factor that keeps entrepreneurs from starting up businsses.

but there are too many arguments about the impracticality of the ACA, and th reality that it is costing many people more money than their previous health plans, to convince me its a good thing.
    Surprise, IL! There is some middle ground here....A. I couldn't agree with your first paragraph more, and B. I won't say that I can't see a point in your second paragraph. The ACA did not work completely as we were told it would, and I won't deny that. I think it's a good starting point but there's more that needs to be done to address this issue. Rob

Good luck with your new endeavor.

Quote Originally Posted by Florence View Post
    Good luck with your new endeavor.
    Florence, Thank You! Rob

What a great week this has been for equal rights!!! Everyone can get married & have healthcare

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    What a great week this has been for equal rights!!! Everyone can get married & have healthcare
    This has been an amazing week for basic human rights in the United States. As much as I complain about this country, to be fair I have to admit I'm surprised and impressed by this past week. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    What a great week this has been for equal rights!!! Everyone can get married &MUST have healthcare
    Corrected.
    gimme....

Where did you come up with the $500 a month figure? Out of the air, or have you been buying or writing down books you have found (supply) and found first editions, excellent condition, etc and pricing what they have sold for somehow (watching Ebay for instance)?
    Wondering how you have been planning this business, through your sheer terror about police and healthcare?

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Corrected.
    gimme....

Where did you come up with the $500 a month figure? Out of the air, or have you been buying or writing down books you have found (supply) and found first editions, excellent condition, etc and pricing what they have sold for somehow (watching Ebay for instance)?
    Wondering how you have been planning this business, through your sheer terror about police and healthcare?
    I know other people who do this who told me that realistically starting I can make $500 a month spending some time with it. About your last sentence, try doing without insurance and being vulnerable to America for a number of years and see if this doensn't change your tune - and about the police, if you can't see there are issues since last summer's fiasco in Ferguson - issues with police brutality and issues with the police having been immune from their illegal actions for some time - then I'm not going to be able to point this out to you and make you see. My advice? I'd give this to anyone - never leave home without a least 1/2 charged smartphone with video capability - and I think all smartphones have this today? It is up to you to use the video to protect yourself should you ever find yourself in a dangerous situation with police through no fault of your own - I can't make you see this and respond to this, this is up to you. Rob

Just going to say congratulations on moving forward. Best of luck, and I hope this is not only profitable but fun. You deserve a little enjoyment out of life!!

In order to net $500 by selling books on ebay/amazon, can you realistically sell $700 to 800 in books each month? This calculation assumes the books are 1) free and 2) costs nothing to search out.

My hubby has sold books on ebay for years (4800 feedback with 100% positive). He spent huge amounts in gas driving around to get to sale locations, huge amounts of time driving or waiting or researching, much time documenting listings and mailing them out. He had to purchase mailing supplies, etc. He needed to know his markets and the markets were a shifting sand of supply and demand. Previously good purchase sites are becoming more expert and selling themselves on Ebay/Amazon. Even Goodwill has their own auction site.

Here at our library sales, you would need to be there at the Founders evening (yearly donation) and compete with the resellers/pickers using electronic scanners who are scanning each book in their category. Sometimes multiple people trying to do this in one area. Got so bad, they limited the size of the bag/box you could move around before buying and taking to the car.

I make money sporatically because I know my categories and sometime stumble on a good buy. Got a book that will sell for at least $75 for $3 at a garage sale and a set of 18 specialty catalogs that I bought for $18 and sold for over $300. Doesnt happen often and I cannot count on it.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I know other people who do this who told me that realistically starting I can make $500 a month spending some time with it. About your last sentence, try doing without insurance and being vulnerable to America for a number of years and see if this doensn't change your tune - and about the police, if you can't see there are issues since last summer's fiasco in Ferguson - issues with police brutality and issues with the police having been immune from their illegal actions for some time - then I'm not going to be able to point this out to you and make you see. My advice? I'd give this to anyone - never leave home without a least 1/2 charged smartphone with video capability - and I think all smartphones have this today? It is up to you to use the video to protect yourself should you ever find yourself in a dangerous situation with police through no fault of your own - I can't make you see this and respond to this, this is up to you. Rob
    You assume I haven't. I was without insurance from 18 when I was on my own to around 30. Even then, prior to to ACA, exclusions for pre-existing condition (asthma). At one point I didn't have even an inkling of an idea of how to get it, due to being involved in a lawsuit, that was making me look at homelessness.
    There are ALWAYS issues with those in power, from politicians to police, nothing new. You do need to go on a ride a long and see about your local citizen police training to get a better understanding, instead of ignorant fear. I have family on both sides of the law, including two that were bad cops (removed). I have witnessed a bribe. I have also been abducted, dealt with a serial killer and several other criminals and don't see your fear foundations as anything other then misinformation and speculation.
    The first rule when it comes to a cop for those that fear them, is do what they tell you to do as a LAWYER, can straighten it out after (and get you an apology/reimbursement).

Thread Information