Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: July 2015 Frugals

Quote Originally Posted by awakenedsoul View Post
    Have been focusing on cleaning and organizing the home. Got the vacuuming done yesterday, and today I'll polish the furniture. I've been using homemade cleaning products. Made arrangements with Blue Shield for my new health insurance. Called in for the paperwork I need for Dial A Ride for the six weeks after my surgery. It feels good to get organized and prepared.
    you got a ton accomplished!

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    For the first time in -- I dunno -- 15 or 20 years I went grocery shopping at Wal-Mart (the evil empire) yesterday. Don't get me wrong. I came out of there feeling like I needed a shower and a confessional.
    Lmao. In your case, using them to your benefit, saving gas, cost of groceries and being able to add to your Roth, that sounds fine to me.

If it makes you feel better, here's a commentary that Whole Foods ain't so great:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/0...tail=facebook#

Awakened: I had intended to comment on another thread, but I'm sorry to hear that you'll be needing surgery. I guess the silver lining is that you always keep in shape so you're sure to be diligent about your post-op therapy and make a speedy recovery! Wishing you well.

If it makes you feel better, here's a commentary that Whole Foods ain't so great:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/0...tail=facebook#
    it may not be (although *some* of the suppliers are quite ethical companies) but there may be truly ethical alternatives like co-ops and so on available to shop at. Never trust anything that's a corporate model all that much (as opposed to worker or consumer co-ops etc.), but some find Costco an alternative to Walmart that doesn't make them want to shower afterward. I don't judge, but unless I'm taking a massive guilt trip for the entire messed up nature of everything and making myself depressed, I have some spontaneous urge to support things doing good.
    Trees don't grow on money

So sorry awakened soul that you will be needing surgery. Like another poster mentioned, you are in great shape and take such good care of yourself, that your recovery will go by quickly...christine

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    I am just a workin' man. I can't afford "ethical" places like Whole Paycheck or Traitor Joe's.
    As I mentioned in my earlier post, there are practical reasons people may choose to shop at Walmart. But your comment about "can't afford 'ethical'" reminds me of a conversation DW and I had shortly after we married. She went to the food co-op with me and was a little shocked at the price of some Colby Jack cheese she wanted to buy (nothing fancy; there are fancy cheeses but this was not one of them). "Isn't that kind of expensive for Colby Jack?" "Well, this is what food costs when you pay your workers a living wage, treat cows humanely, and don't make taxpayers pay for your pollution or your medical plan."

I don't want to range too far off-topic in this thread, but believing that one cannot afford to do better than to shop at Walmart (and the other big-box stores; none of them besides Costco is exemplary) lets them win. And companies which do spend money on living wages/health care/tuition reimbursement for employees and use sustainable practices and treat their suppliers equitably lose the sales that let them continue to be in business. Which leaves us with abusive companies who have enough of a monopoly to dictate their terms.

Back to being frugal.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    As I mentioned in my earlier post, there are practical reasons people may choose to shop at Walmart. But your comment about "can't afford 'ethical'" reminds me of a conversation DW and I had shortly after we married. She went to the food co-op with me and was a little shocked at the price of some Colby Jack cheese she wanted to buy (nothing fancy; there are fancy cheeses but this was not one of them). "Isn't that kind of expensive for Colby Jack?" "Well, this is what food costs when you pay your workers a living wage, treat cows humanely, and don't make taxpayers pay for your pollution or your medical plan."

I don't want to range too far off-topic in this thread, but believing that one cannot afford to do better than to shop at Walmart (and the other big-box stores; none of them besides Costco is exemplary) lets them win. And companies which do spend money on living wages/health care/tuition reimbursement for employees and use sustainable practices and treat their suppliers equitably lose the sales that let them continue to be in business. Which leaves us with abusive companies who have enough of a monopoly to dictate their terms.

Back to being frugal.
    SteveinMN: I actually think that this discussion is very related to frugality, so unless others complain I see no reason to refrain from this angle of the topic.

This is going to sound cynical, and it is also going to be a bit of "playing devil's advocate." But what I have observed is that when people make a living wage they often use their discretionary income to buy things like big screen TVs, SUVs, and a bunch of cheap plastic crap made in China. And when people do get healthcare through work they still pound McDonald's often. It is not like getting health insurance means people eat more broccoli. The tuition reimbursement is an interesting thing because I think that the vast majority of things people study in colleges are detrimental to our environment and our society -- business and law come to mind. haha.

And the sustainability issue is a sticky one. Wal-Mart does lots of "green" stuff. So do the other stores, but it is just a gimmick. There is sustainable ("I recycle and turn off the water while I am brushing my teeth!" and then there is sustainable ("I am Daniel Suelo, I live in a cave, don't use money, and live on wild berries!").

Take for a minute this idea:

Suppose everyone that shopped at Wal-Mart bought the stuff I bought (not that I am some savior, but just as an example). I bought:
    -A couple kinds of fresh fruit
    -A couple fresh veggies
    -A tin of baked beans
    -Peanut butter
    -Jelly
    -flour (to bake bread)
    -veggie burgers

That might have been everything. Now if this is what everyone was buying at Wal-Mart, wouldn't Wally change the way he does business?

Quote Originally Posted by freshstart View Post
    you got a ton accomplished!
    Thanks, freshstart. After a recent visit to my Dad, I am putting more hours per day back into my home and garden. (My parents have always done that.) It's rewarding, free, and makes me feel good. I like being proud of where I live, instead of feeling guilty and behind. Making lists is really helping me to stay focused.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Awakened: I had intended to comment on another thread, but I'm sorry to hear that you'll be needing surgery. I guess the silver lining is that you always keep in shape so you're sure to be diligent about your post-op therapy and make a speedy recovery! Wishing you well.
    Thanks rosarugosa. I've been going to the gym every morning to prepare. I think it really helps if you have strong legs and are in shape. I've had a lot less pain since I started using the machines every other day. On the other days I swim and/or do Pilates or Yoga at home. That $15.00 a month gym membership at 24 Hour Fitness has been the best money I've ever spent!

Quote Originally Posted by Tussiemussies View Post
    So sorry awakened soul that you will be needing surgery. Like another poster mentioned, you are in great shape and take such good care of yourself, that your recovery will go by quickly...christine
    Thanks Tussiemussies. It's funny, when I asked the doctor how long it would be before I would be able to work, he answered, "Six weeks. For you, probably longer, since you're not in very good shape." I chuckled, because I have been busting my buns at the gym. Normally people say the opposite. But, I think he meant my mobility. It's terrible. I'm lean and muscular, but my flexibility has dropped dramatically since I've worn away all of the cartilage. He said my hips are really bad...they're bone on bone. So, I will do the physical therapy and go with the flow as far as healing. I usually heal very quickly...

Thread Information