Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Very new to this forum; from Ohio; looking to connect with other simplicity folks.

Very new to this forum; from Ohio; looking to connect with other simplicity folks.

Hi, how goes it? I am a 36 year old practicing minimalist in Columbus, OH. I have spent the past couple years really simplifying my life in profound ways.

The problem is that I am a lone wolf out here -- there is no real pack to join! :/ haha

I am here to learn from others, gain insights into deeper simplicity, and generally just connect with others living simply. If something from my experience might help someone else, then I am glad to talk about it too.

My challenge at the moment is figuring out a way to get all my stuff to fit in and on my little Nissan Versa Hatchback? Why? Because I have moved 27 times in my life -- 25 of those times were after turning 18! No, I was not in the military nor am I a college professor. haha

Again, glad to be here and to know others who live simply are out there!

Simply yours,

-Jake

p.s. I like fishing, picking berries, reading memoirs, funky music, and frugality.

Cool! Thanks for introducing yourself, Jake! Welcome, and make yourself at home here. Looking forward to hearing about your adventures!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Hi Jake,

Think you have found a great place to really feel like part of the pack. There is always something great to chat about here....

Hello, I'm a 38 year old in Winnipeg, MB.
    I'm also a minimalist and have recently been streamlining my life and stuff. Your hatchback plan is more ambitious than mine. I decluttered to the point that I can move all my stuff myself (no big furniture) and to fit in a cargo van. (I don't own a car so I'd have to borrow something to move anyhow.)

How are you living right now? I'm renting a house with roommates to minimize my responsibilities (I'm not even on the lease) and maximize my potential mobility and time to do other fun things.

For work I consider myself half-retired (half way to financial independence) and half-self-employed. You?

And welcome to the forums.

Welcome! This is a fine virtual community for people like you (and me and the other posters). I'm looking forward to your posts!
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Welcome, Jake! My first husband was from Columbus (I was raised in Ann Arbor, Go Blue!), so I know the town a little. I would think there are lots of opportunities to simplify when it comes to major life running costs like rent (rooming with students, for example). These forums are absolutely wonderful when it comes to helpful suggestions, moral support, and encouragement. We all celebrate each other's "wins." Welcome.

from the north side of Lake Erie. May I suggest that you do a search of your questions and interest and see what neat stuff has been discussed and then share some of your own.

Kestra:

I like your style!

I have heard there is some good ice fishing in "Winterpeg," is that true? haha

You are car-free? I am so jealous. That is loosely in my five year plan. The problem is that without a car I cannot get to my favorite fishing spots. What made you go car free?

Right now I am also living with housemates and not on a lease. I pay rent in cash. I agree: fewer responsibilities is better! haha

As for working, I am currently a researcher for the university here. Just a run-of-the-mill government job.

I am going to check out your blog now!

Welcome, Jake!
    The brain is wider than the sky. -- Emily Dickinson

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    Kestra:

I like your style!

I have heard there is some good ice fishing in "Winterpeg," is that true? haha

You are car-free? I am so jealous. That is loosely in my five year plan. The problem is that without a car I cannot get to my favorite fishing spots. What made you go car free?

Right now I am also living with housemates and not on a lease. I pay rent in cash. I agree: fewer responsibilities is better! haha

As for working, I am currently a researcher for the university here. Just a run-of-the-mill government job.

I am going to check out your blog now!
    Fishing is a big thing in Manitoba in general. I don't know that much about it, having been a life long (almost) vegetarian. (I eat fish once in a while now). People fish right in the middle of the city as we have basically no river valley and you can walk right up to any of the rivers or creeks in many places. We have so many lakes that there is various types of lake fishing. Definitely ice fishing. I'm sure there's super wilderness fly-in fishing as well.

I'm car free for several reasons:
    - to keep expenses low
    - to minimize responsibilities
    - because I hate driving/vehicle maintenance
    - for my health - I walk a lot now

Living in the middle of the city there are lots of other transport options. I'm signed up for a carshare co-op so I can borrow a car for a few hours whenever I want. Then there is the usual car rental, taxis, and buses - which I'll use depending on what makes the most sense at the time.

For my business I'll probably need a car again eventually. Though I'm also thinking seriously of a van - living in it all summer and finding a rental or petsitting gig all winter. Creepy lady in a van? Maybe. I'm hoping the benefits outweigh the negatives. I just need to get some income going before I make any big purchases.

Thread Information