Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fitting everything I own in my car?

Fitting everything I own in my car?

Hey, I was wondering if anyone had insights on fitting everything they own into their car.

I have moved 27 times in my life, 25 of those moves happened after I turned 18 (I am 36 now). That is a lot of apartments, houses, dorms, rooms, townhouses, etc. haha

While I have always been fairly minimalistic by American standards I have only gotten really, deeply serious about simplicity in the past two years. The last time I moved (June 2015) it took four carloads in my Nissan Versa hatchback. Now, with proper Tetrising, that could have been three carloads (maybe two!) but it would have been tough.

Any suggestions on a challenge such as this? Thanks.

-Jake D.

Hi Jake,

Just wondering...Do you have less items than you did when you moved in 2015? Did you utilize the top of your car too? I don't know if they still have them, but they used to have a plastic boxy thing with a top and bottom and you can pack things in there too?

I'll come back to this later

A Versa is a fairly small car, particularly by American standards. I'm not quite sure how one would fit even some basic furnishings, like a mattress/futon, or a table, into a Versa. I have a Volkswagen Jetta Wagon and just managed to fit a new-in-box queen-size futon mattress into the back. Sure, there was lots of room otherwise, but the width even rolled up was a challenge.

I would guess you would do better either opting to not move furniture at all -- sell the bed, mattress, table, chairs, etc. at your origin point and buy replacements at your destination. Of course, then there's the matter of using the Versa to get some bigger pieces of furniture home, but at least you'd get to do that a piece or two at a time.

It's possible folding furniture (chairs, collapsible table, air mattress) might be easier to move. Even being able to put on a roof rack or cargo carrier or a hitch for a rented trailer would help, but that takes away from the literal act of putting everything you own into the car.

You also really should check out the load capacity of your car. Between you and your cargo (inside and outside) you may exceed what the car was designed to carry safely.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I tend to think one would be better off hiring movers, but I guess that depends on how far one is moving. But say one is moving 30 miles away, the movers would have to be cheaper than selling everything and buying it again (and much less hassle!). But cross country might be different.
    Trees don't grow on money

if you're not going far, wouldn't it be easier and quicker to get the small UHaul that's $19 plus gas or mileage, I forget how they handle that.

Tussiemussies:

I do utilize the top of my car. I have a soft rack that I put my canoe on but I also used it to move my full sized mattress and a ladder I used for berry picking. When I moved in May I had relatively the same number of possessions as when I moved in June (long story -- but the house mates I lived with were really bad; stuffed me on the first gas bill and let their cat pee all over everything; so I moved out 7 weeks later).

SteveinMN: Good point about the max carry capacity. I am pretty sure that my stuff weighs less than four passengers would. My intention though is to ditch my full size mattress (is it old now, very old) and get a tri-fold memory foam mattress. That way I can fit in in my car along with my other stuff. I have no furniture at the moment, since the house I live in is furnished by my housemates. The air mattress is a suggestion I am certainly going to consider! I have found them to be plenty comfortable.

Part of wanting to fit everything into my car is to make moving easy, but also it is just an arbitrary but measurable and attainable minimalist goal.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and thoughts! Really appreciate it.

-Jake

I haven't been able to fit everything I owned into a car since I graduated from college and started purchasing furniture. Fitting my couch in or on it simply wasn't going to happen. Moving has always involved either renting a truck or hiring movers.

At first I was going to snarkily suggest trading in the Versa for an SUV. Problem solved. But then it occurred to me more seriously that perhaps you'd be better off moving into a van. Then you never have to move homes again or have problems with housemates being jerks.

jp1:

I don't mind a little snark! Go for it. haha

I have thought about the van option very seriously. My parents actually own a conversion van that is fully equipped -- it even has a shower and toilet. I could make a home out of a van like this but I am not financially able to buy one (yet...?!).

Also: Dude living in a van screams "creep" rather than minimalist. haha

-Jake

No mattress is so freeing. I ditched my "real" bed on my last move when I couldn't fit it up the stairs into my attic bedroom. I just gave it all away. Then I bought a fairly cheap (not memory foam) small, tri-fold mattress, like you say. Then I bought a foam mattress topper at Walmart for like $20. I get the Queen size and then fold it so I get that extra layer of padding. I find it nice and comfortable that way. And nicely portable, which is the most important thing.

Thread Information