Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fitting everything I own in my car?

Kestra:

That is great that your "unreal" bed is working for you! I think I will go for it and get the tri-fold mattress.

Lugging my old, floppy, "real" mattress everywhere is really inefficient.

-Jake

My son sleeps on a camping cot with a thin cushion on it. When he moved last year he fit everything into his Kia Rio.

Oh! And the move before that he didn't own a car. He moved 2 miles away, and his moving involved carrying his possessions over the course of three trips ... While Walking.

Tammy:

Your son sounds like he has got it made! That is some serious simple living.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    jp1:

Also: Dude living in a van screams "creep" rather than minimalist. haha

-Jake
    Only if you live in that van down by the river. haha. We were joking about this with a friend my age who, after being unemployed for a multi-year stent and unsuccessfully selling her house (at the inflated price she thinks its worth) she rented it. She's now hopping from relative's to relative's guest room. She jokes that she's living in a van down by the river like the sweet/sad Chris Farley character on SNL.

Packing everything you own into a vehicle is STILL a fantasy of mine, one that will never be realized. Can't have any real furniture, though, although one can easily construct and find tables and chairs once you land in a place to live.

The issue of furniture is one I have not thought much of, but now I am. I have mostly lived in places that were furnished by my housemates with their furniture. I always take great care of it. Back in college we'd just get free couches and chairs off the side of the road and throw a sheet over them. But that was the era of "Free Couch" -- before bed bugs plagued the land. :/ So you can't do that anymore.

I guess that if I ever have a stable place to live again I will reconsider the furniture issue. I was married before and had a nominally stable place for a few years, so we have couches. But they were damaged in a cross country move. So they were pitched.

Why is your friend going through all that just to make a few extra bucks on a house? That is one tough anchor to have tethered to her. :/

Having just completed a 27th move myself, I feel your pain.

For a while my rule was that if it didn't fit in my car, Honda Civic Hatchback, then I didn't need it. My futon mattress was tied to the top, my bike was on the rack in the back and there was still room in the car for both the cat and her litterbox.

Owning a canoe is a huge possession along w/paddles & life vests. Think portable for EVERYTHING you have a need for. Can you rent your canoe needs or is there a portable blow-up/foldable option to get instead?

People are always giving away pieces of furniture, like others have mentioned, the $20/day econoline van-style Uhaul may be a reasonable option for the big stuff you want to move around.

Dhiana:

Another 27th mover? What are the odds? haha

May I ask why you've moved so much? Feel free to PM if you want. If it is too personal, disregard. :/

You must be an expert at Tetris because Honda Civics are pretty small cars.

The canoe is indeed a huge possession. I go back and forth about it. It is made of Royalex, which is hard to find and is 12 feet long. But it only weighs 33lbs. So it is a really good canoe and I catch mountains of fish from it. But as far as it being part of the infrastructure of my life -- yeah! Major space taker-upper. I will think about the rental option. I might have to rent from a private owner; the liveries here are strict about their canoes.

And an inflatable is an option I am considering.

Eventually my desire to be car-free and my desire to drive to lakes to go fishing will go head-to-head. Not sure how that will turn out...

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    The issue of furniture is one I have not thought much of, but now I am. I have mostly lived in places that were furnished by my housemates with their furniture. I always take great care of it. Back in college we'd just get free couches and chairs off the side of the road and throw a sheet over them. But that was the era of "Free Couch" -- before bed bugs plagued the land. :/ So you can't do that anymore.

I guess that if I ever have a stable place to live again I will reconsider the furniture issue. I was married before and had a nominally stable place for a few years, so we have couches. But they were damaged in a cross country move. So they were pitched.

Why is your friend going through all that just to make a few extra bucks on a house? That is one tough anchor to have tethered to her. :/
    haha yes, bedbugs put an end to my alley picks. I am your mom's age, or perhaps even older, and I furnished my house with alley finds for decades. Only in the past ten years have we purchased "real" furniture. We had a house full of dogs who would ruin all furniture, so it was a foolish waste of money to buy upholstered furniture. I had some great sofas from the alley: a 3 piece orange floral sectional from the 60's and pillow back monster of a comfortable sofa were my favorites.

My friend, like many people my age, can't give up the dream--a house and what it represents. It is a big "Tara" like house, 4,000 sq feet for one person. It is such an anchor for her, you are right.

I stopped bringing home furniture from the trash about 15 years ago before bedbugs had become the issue they are today. I had found an awesome chrome stool with a sparkly red seat. About ten minutes after I got it in my apartment the cockroaches came pouring out of the legs...

Thread Information