Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fitting everything I own in my car?

My mom is 66. Ha!

I remember loading couches on top of my rusty Dodge Omni back in the late 1990s and early 2000s. My friends and I felt like bandits getting all that free furniture!

Oh... a "Tara"... how sad, really.

I have a dog, but he doesn't go after the furniture. He is mostly just a lay-about. haha

Though he did eat three of my fishing reels in the summer of 2013. haha

He is still a good pup though.

Have you had a "Come to Jesus" talk with your friend about her Tara?

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    Dhiana:

Another 27th mover? What are the odds? haha

May I ask why you've moved so much?
    When I was very young my father was in the military, then in college there were quite a few moves, then I found myself a husband that has a job which has him moving to different locations doing energy management & metering studies.

Even my work as an artist has become minimalist in that I need little room & few tools to complete even large installation projects in other countries. I can do it in a hotel room, on a train, on the couch.

Between the two of us we have a total of 4800lbs of crap we own. That's everything, nothing in storage, no cars, everything. I would be happy to part with more items but my husband is a bit sentimental.

Really figure out what's most important. Sure I love the feel of reading a real book but the luxury of not having to move those books and having an entire library of 1000's of books available at my fingertips on my kindle app is more important.

I want to make large scale metal sculptures. A big fabrication studio is not an option, I found another way to make large metal sculptures without all those tools and I've found a great niche for myself.

I think Tetris is a locked game with specific shapes. You have the option to change those shapes before you place them into your car.
    Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    Oh! And the move before that he didn't own a car. He moved 2 miles away, and his moving involved carrying his possessions over the course of three trips ... While Walking.
    There is a whole group of hotel residents here in our town. Sometimes you see them moving from one hotel to another with just a wagon or even a baby stroller to carry their personal belongings.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Dhiana:

Well said. So well said! Thanks.

Float On:

Are you serious?

Hi again, just a thought if you use a air mattress, you will have most likely electrically fill it up and down so you can store it away for the day. Not sure if there are other types out there?

I have thought about the air mattress. I think that I could keep it inflated all day and just have it leaning up against the wall. At night I could just lay it back down, top it off with some air, and then I'd be ready for bed.

29 moves for me since 18, now 54. I remember all in one car at 18, all in a couple car loads, wheelbarrow to the apartment next door, UHauls, Moving companies, borrowing pickup truck. I want to stay in one spot now, sadly my sign above my car says Gypsy Parking Only
    But good luck in your move.

ctg492:

Thanks, hopefully I won't have too many more moves. I'd like to find a good place to live a simple life as a minimalist and invest in the community.

I'd obviously prefer it to be near the coast or at least near a lake! haha

In 1974 my partner and I and our two dogs moved from Austin, TX to Williamsburg, VA in a VW Bug. I had just finished my PHD and we were going to my first teaching job at the college there. We sold almost everything of value--much of it she had made--to friends. We had been living on $800 a month with my TA salary and her Social Security Disability. Some of our stuff had no monetary value, for example the grandmother clock packing box that had served as our coffee table. We made it to Williamsburg and only missed one cabinet she had made that had especially beautiful dimensions. We didn't have the money to move any other way and didn't think that was a disaster, we just did it, happy to be able to move when we needed to.
    I think deep in our hearts we know that our comforts, our conveniences are at the expense of other people. Grace Lee Boggs

Thread Information