Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fish recipe suggestions?

Your picture above makes me hungry!
    We buy smoked trout from Trader Joe's and it is delicious in salads.
    We pretty much eat ocean fish, so I don't know how well this translates, but you speak of mild white flaky fish, and we eat lots of haddock and cod. DH often cooks it in a saute pan with risotto and spinach, or bakes it with lemon, butter & bread crumbs. We're big fans of fish chowder (the milk based variety). Fennel is really nice in a haddock or cod fish chowder.(I don't like onions).
    Happy eating - seafood is my favorite source of protein!

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Anymore I fish mostly in catch and release type waters and rarely eat my catch and I got rid of the smoker. Back in the day I used it a several times a year. I would wait until I got a full smoker load which would made a decent amount of smoked fish. At least for me smoked fish is pretty rich and not something you do for a main course so it goes a long ways, but it's a great treat. Aside from personal use, it's a crowd pleaser for company. I have smoked northern pike and the meat is good, but the process doesn't get rid of the bones. There is a little science behind smoking fish correctly and I am a believer in a cooler smoking temperature than the little commercial smokers are capable of, but they are mighty convenient.

I have talked with carp aficionados who claim that canning or pickling them is the way to go. Apparently the process softens or dissolves all the little bones. I've baked carp once or twice and the flavor isn't so bad. I think canning other varieties of fish is a tradition in some regions, but I've never dabbled in it.
    You are right about smoked fish. A little goes a long way.

Now that you mention it, I bet that pickling carp would be good! Funky and strong, but probably darned good!

I make a crabmeat stuffing for trout and bake. Very good..... probably could wrap in foil and put on the grill too.

My father used to smoke carp. It was good.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    I make a crabmeat stuffing for trout and bake.
    That sounds great! Must try.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I have tried a recipe with catfish and pepper. I just love the combination of spices like pepper with catfish. For the marinade I mixed up vinegar, lemon juice and garlic in a mixing bowl and seasoned it with salt and pepper. For the pepper I use cayenne with sliced onions saute in oil until it gets translucent. Instead of using ordinary spices, I always use fresh and finest quality herbs and spices from Horton Spice Mills in Canada. I believe that quality of the spices that we add in our dishes have great influence in the taste. So I don't usually compromise taste for anything, not even for spices.

Quote Originally Posted by lifesack View Post
    I have tried a recipe with catfish and pepper. I just love the combination of spices like pepper with catfish. For the marinade I mixed up vinegar, lemon juice and garlic in a mixing bowl and seasoned it with salt and pepper. For the pepper I use cayenne with sliced onions saute in oil until it gets translucent. Instead of using ordinary spices, I always use fresh and finest quality herbs and spices from Horton Spice Mills in Canada. I believe that quality of the spices that we add in our dishes have great influence in the taste. So I don't usually compromise taste for anything, not even for spices.
    I do love me some catfish! Caught a few good-sized ones last weekend in Logan Lake. This recipe sounds like The Yums!

Any suggestions for recipes for catfish, crappie (speckled bass), or bluegill?

Catfish is best when it's grilled and eat it with steamed rice and some slices of fresh tomatoes on the side!

i often put a type of salsa on top (tiny diced tomato, avocado, cilantro, red onion and maybe some jalapeño). i have had great salmon with tiny french lentils on the side at the fanciest restaurant. roasted brussel sprouts and tiny potatoes are great. So i wouldn't cook it different as much as really pair up some nice foods with it, i like fish but i am such a veggie lover

I also love the ideas of chowders and gumbos and other soups. That would be my first choice.

Or, how about simply putting a filet on a piece of aluminum foil with some lemon, drizzle of oil and maybe a little red onion and then fold up the aluminum into a little boat and bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Pretty foolproof, healthy and delicious.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

thunderseed
    You are lucky for sure, maybe one day I'll get a husband who fishes (I cry everytime I try to catch a fish haha). Buying seafood at the grocery store is expensive here. 40 dollars for a peice of frozen tuna! Making tuna melts is a special occasion for me. You've never lived until you've had tuna melts made from fresh tuna, it's so much better than canned tuna!

Anyways, I love making a Dill Sauce for salmon and all other fish, it's one of those recipes I can never get tired of. I just combine chopped carrots, mushrooms and onions in a pan with butter, milk and dill spice and I cook the fish with it, sometimes I leave the fish whole, or I cut it into peices to make it into stir fry, then I dump it all onto a bed of instant noodles, for a very delicious, fast and healthy meal.

Deep frying isn't the best, but pan frying is perfectly fine as long as you use healthy organic oils or healthy organic butter.

Someone taught me an ancient native american method of cooking fish and vegetables in a salt water brine. You can use fresh or fermented berries mixed with salt water or even ocean water, let the fish and vegetables cook slowly in the brine. It doesn't sound very amazing, but it certainly tastes amazing once it's done. Discard the brine, just eat the fish and vegetables that were cooked in it. It's a great alternative if you don't want to use oils or butters for cooking the fish at all. Cooking fish in salt water/berry brine was a traditional breakfast recipe hundreds of years ago. It would have been served with forest veggies, seaweeds, and cakes that are sort of like pancakes but were made of other wild ingrediants that had been ground into flour.

I especially love to eat fish raw - as in sashimi or sushi or sometimes I just eat whole fish raw, but it has to be previously frozen or sushi grade fish. Honestly, I think there is nothing better than the taste of raw fish, and I think cooking it ruins the taste.
    Salmon, tuna and white fish are all very good eaten raw along with plain avacodo and sushi rice.

Thread Information