Thread: Simplifying or right-sizing hobbies?

Simplifying or right-sizing hobbies?

Anyone else have a problem with picking up new hobbies? I am like a shopaholic for new hobbies! haha

If I see a hobby I might be interested in I usually go for it, for a couple years or so. Then I "strategically discontinue" the hobby and sell all the stuff related to it. Then move on to a new hobby.

This obviously costs some cash in many cases. But I also wonder if having such a complicated portfolio of hobbies prevents me from feeling the simple depth and richness of a decades long hobby.

Thoughts? Anyone else share this experience?

Thanks,
    -Jake

Look up Scanner personality type or "polymath" if I'm remembering correctly. Sounds like you might be one of us.

I get bored with a hobby once I've gotten to the "good enough/pretty good" state. Its no longer challenging. Also, I tend to create practical items and have changed hobbies just because I had too many of an item. There's only so much cross-stitch/quilting/knitted socks/tatting that a person can use or give away to family/close friends.

Kestra:

Haha! I might be that type. Though I tend to set a specific goal and then follow through with it, like: "Learn 12 dance steps/moves in a year" or "learn to catch three species of fish" or "learn to forage 5 different fruits in the greater Columbus area."

I don't usually drop hobbies completely, but put them away and then come back to them.

One exception was knitting - I really tried, but never got the hang of it. I felt guilty wasting all that yarn (I ended up giving it
    away.) I also gave away my sewing machine, though I still enjoy sewing by hand.

Most of my hobbies (writing, drawing, calligraphy, hiking, birding) require little in the way of supplies.

Those hobbies that require few supplies can be really great! I got on a meditation kick for a year or so. I just used a gong alarm meditation app on my iPhone (back when I had a cell phone). It was free.

Thread Information