Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Simple living heroes in the news!

rodeosweetheart
    With these folks who quit their jobs and go off to travel the world-- how do they afford to do this? What happens when they run out of money?

Williamsmith
    Thats a real life simple living hero. Walks the talk.

Quote Originally Posted by rodeosweetheart View Post
    With these folks who quit their jobs and go off to travel the world-- how do they afford to do this? What happens when they run out of money?
    If you can save 90% of your income, I guess you wind up with enough to fund a trip around the world. When you get back, on to the next adventure with the simple living skills you've acquired.

Another simple liver who writes for a living, lives simply and has traveled to all 193 countries is Chris Guillebeau, who wrote The Art of Non-Conformity as well as other how-to's related to unconventional ways to live simply.

http://chrisguillebeau.com
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

rodeosweetheart
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    If you can save 90% of your income, I guess you wind up with enough to fund a trip around the world. When you get back, on to the next adventure with the simple living skills you've acquired.
    But that is the part I don't get. How do you fund the next adventure? How do you pay for healthcare? I would hate living in my vehicle forever. It's just so anthithetical to how I'd like to live, to have no garden, sense that I could take care of myself if I could not work (savings.) It seems to me the line between living in one's car and being a bag lady is pretty slim--just the car. And how long can you keep that going? Cars wear out.

There was someone who used to post here who was living in her van, with her family, and trying to fund the whole deal with her website, and selling Shaklee, and ads on her website. How many people want to read those websites--it's almost like a ponzi scheme, in a way, the whole, "look at me, I'm living in my car."

Oh well, some of us are born to be farmers, I guess, lol.

Here's another one: Mr. and Mrs. Frugalwoods who are socking away 71% of their income in order to retire at age 33, leave Boston, and homestead in Vermont.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/laurenge...ly-retirement/
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Frugalwoods are amazing!

Williamsmith
    You can find scores of singles and couples and even communities that are doing the same as the Frugalwoods. It is definitely another movement back to the land and homesteading. What is driving it? Perhaps the work paradigm is changing as the pendulum swings away from one job to many, from week day work to all shift work, from healthcare coverage to huge gaps in care, from defined benefit pensions to your on your own buddy. What would make a person or couple want to stay committed to a job or jobs that simply allow subsistence living and poor quality subsistence living at that. A homestead provides healthy eating alternatives, freedom of personal choices, exercise and activity, and time to be with people you love and participate in activities you enjoy. I stayed at my job because I knew at 51, I was going to be free of the treadmill. That promise is gone. You might as well get an early start or run the treadmill until you die.

Quote Originally Posted by rodeosweetheart View Post
    But that is the part I don't get. How do you fund the next adventure? How do you pay for healthcare? I would hate living in my vehicle forever. It's just so anthithetical to how I'd like to live, to have no garden, sense that I could take care of myself if I could not work (savings.) It seems to me the line between living in one's car and being a bag lady is pretty slim--just the car. And how long can you keep that going? Cars wear out.

There was someone who used to post here who was living in her van, with her family, and trying to fund the whole deal with her website, and selling Shaklee, and ads on her website. How many people want to read those websites--it's almost like a ponzi scheme, in a way, the whole, "look at me, I'm living in my car."

Oh well, some of us are born to be farmers, I guess, lol.
    I think it all depends on one's own decision of what is enough. I used to know a woman who spent much time traveling. Very cheaply. Staying in hostels. Doing chores for the hostel if she could stay for free, etc. When her money ran out she went to Alaska and worked in a fish cannery. She'd seen the ad promising great wages and room and board included. It turned out to be long hours and in a remote place where there was not much to do. So she saved several thousand dollars and started traveling again. She figured she could go back to Alaska and can fish again once the money ran out. I doubt she's still following this pattern of life, (this was 25 years ago) but who knows. If she is she's probably as happy and excited about life as she was back then.

I like the hotel Prius video. I can see that working out for a young guy but as a woman I would feel anxious at night. I like the solar panel to store power for his cell phone

Quote Originally Posted by Tulips View Post
    I like the hotel Prius video. I can see that working out for a young guy but as a woman I would feel anxious at night. I like the solar panel to store power for his cell phone
    Check out Suanne! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suiPFn3xa2E

Thread Information