Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swiss Chard

Swiss Chard

I'm enjoying the 'Bright Lights' Swiss Chard that I'm growing in one of my raised stock tanks.....which has weathered the monsoon rains we've had, just fine. It's supposedly super healthy. It really wilts down to almost nothing. I've made it with oil and balsamic vinegar and garlic before, but tonight I'm going to make it with oil, garlic, butter and parmesan cheese. It's so colorful!

Swiss Chard, Bright Lights.jpg

Much envy!

I love swiss chard. We're growing it this year. I typically dice the stems and sauté them in oil/garlic and then wilt the leaves over them and stir them all up together. Great garden green--it keeps on coming!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Count me in as another lover of Swiss chard! Wish we had thought to grow some this year, alas, we were not that organized.
    The brain is wider than the sky. -- Emily Dickinson

It's great in Asian stir-fries and I often substitute it for spinach in curry dishes.
    Last edited by IshbelRobertson; 7-14-15 at 11:31am. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I'm enjoying the 'Bright Lights' Swiss Chard that I'm growing in one of my raised stock tanks.....which has weathered the monsoon rains we've had, just fine. It's supposedly super healthy. It really wilts down to almost nothing. I've made it with oil and balsamic vinegar and garlic before, but tonight I'm going to make it with oil, garlic, butter and parmesan cheese. It's so colorful!

We grow that chard as well, and yep, it is quite versatile.

One of my favorites - so easy to grow! Thank goodness something is.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

Had to comment on this thread. Grew swiss chard for first time this year. Started producing early and here it is in mid October and the 5 plants I have are still producing heavily. I do prefer the flavor of kale over swiss chard slightly,but the kale has been done for about 6 weeks now while I'm still enjoying my swiss chard.

I'm the contrary biddy, Swiss Chard grows better here than nearly any other leafy green, and it's my absolute least favorite. Every time I grow it I go through the same set of emotions: Wow, this is amazing! Bleh! It is so very pretty, though.

Just had Swiss chard last night.. I prepared it for my DH, the less-than-enthusiastic veggie eater, and he was like Mikey in the old Life cereal commercial. He told me that it was actually tastier than the meat! Win!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information