Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Finding meaning in a simple life?

Finding meaning in a simple life?

I know a lot of people use simple living and minimalism to strip away the extraneous stuff in order to focus on the meaningful things in their lives.

A person perhaps simplifies so they can focus on writing a novel or starting a business or unicycling across Antarctica, or whatever; they find "meaning" in novelizing or entrepreneurship or unicycling.

My question is how did you find "meaning?" How did simplifying help you enrich, explore, and really live your meaning?

And: Did anyone start simplifying as a method of finding meaning in the first place? How did that pan out?

Please share. I'd enjoy and learn from any insights you may have.
    Thanks.

It gave me time to read and learn. I love ideas.

For me, the meaning existed before I moved to a simpler life. I knew what interested me -- more experiences than "stuff" -- and I knew I was spending a lot of my time and energy and some of my money on things and commitments which didn't really "do it" for me. Learning about simple living simply crystallized what I already knew inside I wanted to do -- learn and think and spend time with family and friends and enjoy how I passed my time. I just had to figure out how to get rid of the commitments that no longer served that end. That was where sites like this one and YMOYL came in -- they presented new ways of thinking about daily life and how to move aside or eliminate those parts of life which were ... misplaced.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Finding meaning in simplicity.

In 1985 I worked in a backpacking/camping/adventure ministry with innercity kids out of Washington DC.
    I lived in a simple canvas tent on a wood platform when we weren't backpacking. I had a cot. A little stool I'd made, a little woven vase I'd made, 2 books, a notebook and 2 pens. 3 pair of pants and 5 shirts. A hat, 2 bandanas, a swimsuit, a rain slicker. Hiking boots, slip on canvas shoes, 6 pair of good socks. And nature and all the activities we could do outside. It was simple and very meaningful. Not only for what we offered the innercity kids but I still keep up with all my old co-workers and have noticed all of us crave simplicity.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Williamsmith
    When a I finally had time to think about the meaning of life I discovered that of the many things that surrounded me, very few gave me pleasure much less had meaning. In fact, many things felt like a burden to keep, maintain and store. So I began investigating people who lived simple lives and discovered they had more meaning in their life than people confused by the avalanche of things. A man named Dick Proenekke comes to mind. In his 50s he moved to Alaska and built a cabin at a twin Lakes and lived there rather self sufficient for decades. He didn't have lots of things but he had much meaning. In a way, I try to model these people.

I ask this mostly because I have a hard time finding meaning in life. While I do like having a largely uncluttered life and simple living and minimalism have made me feel happier over all, I was hoping it might open a space for me to find some meaning too. Unfortunately, no luck so far.

Williamsmith
    All of us have to make that discovery on our own terms. Simple living and minimalism is not a path to meaning. It is rather a response to finding true freedom. It's about rejecting consumption for the sake of defining yourself. Choosing to find meaning in simple, plain and subtle things.

For me, and I speak for myself only, I find the idea of meaning and the existence of God to be tied together. When I rely on God instead of anything I can control or construct myself, I find meaning. That can be in a cup of coffee or it can be while standing in view of Niagara Falls. I believe that if you empty yourself for the benefit of others less fortunate - of which there are plenty- you discover meaning. You may choose a different analogy but that is What comes to mind now as the sun rises at my place.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    All of us have to make that discovery on our own terms. Simple living and minimalism is not a path to meaning. It is rather a response to finding true freedom. It's about rejecting consumption for the sake of defining yourself. Choosing to find meaning in simple, plain and subtle things.

For me, and I speak for myself only, I find the idea of meaning and the existence of God to be tied together. When I rely on God instead of anything I can control or construct myself, I find meaning. That can be in a cup of coffee or it can be while standing in view of Niagara Falls. I believe that if you empty yourself for the benefit of others less fortunate - of which there are plenty- you discover meaning. You may choose a different analogy but that is What comes to mind now as the sun rises at my place.
    Williamsmith: Thank you for sharing.

I tend to be able to know what is not meaningful to me better than I know what is meaningful. Does that make sense? :/

So I was hoping to clear the fog away and find meaning in what was left newly visible. Though I haven't really been able to do this beyond the obvious.

I have no religion, nor am I spiritual in any way.

I am compassionate and help others when I can.

UltraliteAngler, Have you made a list of what is NOT meaningful? It might give you insight into a pattern of what is not so that what is meaningful might come through with a bit of digging. I'd recommend The Artist's Way by Julie Cameron as an exercise book in trying to find meaning. Just from my experience, it helped me.

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    UltraliteAngler, Have you made a list of what is NOT meaningful? It might give you insight into a pattern of what is not so that what is meaningful might come through with a bit of digging. I'd recommend The Artist's Way by Julie Cameron as an exercise book in trying to find meaning. Just from my experience, it helped me.
    This ain't a bad idea at all! Though I will say I have removed many, many things from my life that are not meaningful as I identify them -- hobbies, relationships, possessions, etc.

I worry that since I do not have a purpose or meaning in life I am not setting a good example for others who may be considering SL or minimalism. They might say: "I am better off with my stuff. Just look at Jake over there. He's got nothing to show for having nothing, not even an purpose or meaning in life!"

Thread Information