Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A Tiny House In Our Future?

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    Buy a camper van.
    You are well aware that's the plan

You could also build one.

I saw this the other day and it gave new meaning to your home is your castle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=34&v=CnHGKUh-5O4

I spent a month in our 27 ft RV with 4 dogs & that was sufficient

I think 800 sq. ft. is as tiny as I'd want to go for two people. It's also about as small a house as anyone I know lives in. I'm with Iris Lily and Float On--I'd be homicidal in no time sharing so little space with another person. But i'm into that LAT thing...

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    When I think of living in a truly tiny house with one other person, it would have to offer getaway space.

Getaway space ace would be something like outdoor rooms available most of the year. That's not your climate.
    Correct, that is not our climate. If anything ever became of this, however, a significant change in our climate would occur at the same time. We live outside during every reasonable minute of the year anyway so that would be heavily factored into the design.
    "Back when I was a young boy all my aunts and uncles would poke me in the ribs at weddings saying your next! Your next! They stopped doing all that crap when I started doing it to them... at funerals!"

Maybe if I had an outbuilding/studio/retreat...

My house was built in 1944, and it's 567 square feet. It's very comfortable, and perfect for one person. I never feel cramped or claustrophobic here. It's got a shady front porch that overlooks the cottage garden. The flowers, herbs, and plants make a big difference. I've got windows that look out onto greenery, and they make the cottage feel bigger.

Although I grew up in a large home, I've lived in apartments, condos, or small houses since that time. I don't have much stuff, and was raised to keep things neat and tidy. I'm able to live on much less than most people, because my expenses are so low. My electric bill is between $11.00-$40.00 a month. It's only high if I use the air conditioning. My gas bill is around $25.00 a month.

I highly recommend small homes. The new tiny ones seem overpriced and cramped to me, but they are beautiful. I like having a large lot, as well. Mine is 7,400 square feet. The dogs have room to run and play. I can sit out on the swing and gaze at the orchard and animals.

I wouldn't want a large home after living this way. I have what I need and am comfortable. I'm also able to save money and can be selective about employment.

During FYI's Tiny House Nation show they mentioned videos of couples living in their homes after a year. I missed the link and can't find it online but I wonder if they are all still happy in the teeny abodes.

I just looked this up, my two bedroom townhouse is a total of 875 square feet, which includes the basement. I felt like it is too big for one person, but I have that extra bedroom to rent out. I just wish it had an extra 1/2 bath when there are two unrelated people living here. Three people makes it feel quite crowded though.

I could easily live in a much smaller space if I had a separate building to use as I studio. Or a studio with a little corner as a living area!

Quote Originally Posted by pony mom View Post
    During FYI's Tiny House Nation show they mentioned videos of couples living in their homes after a year. I missed the link and can't find it online but I wonder if they are all still happy in the teeny abodes.
    On some of the tiny house blogs I have seen a lot of listings this year for "Tiny home, only 1 year old".....made me wonder too. There has been a tiny home for sale here for 6 years, sitting in a resale lot with RVs I've never seen anyone looking at it.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Thread Information