Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Capsule Wardrobe

you could maybe get away with wearing the same pants to work everyday, but the same exact shirt? you'd have to explain what you are doing, I would think, or you would be watercooler fodder. She is too extreme for me, I thought capsule meant having fewer pieces but they all work together so you can come up with different combinations.

Yeah, my school shirts are all different colors. I only have the kids one day a week and apparently I once wore the green shirt every Wednesday for a month. One of my kids asked me if I had any other clothes.

I like the idea of having a uniform. I wear different versions of the same clothes pretty much everyday to work. (Brown, gray, or blue pants + casual shirt + cardigan.)
    I think it makes sense to have more than one of each, otherwise I'd be wasting a lot of water doing laundry. I usually do laundry only once a week.

I'm not working a lot right now, and still figuring out how to dress in my new climate. For everyday wear in summer, it's usually a sundress or capris+sleeveless blouse. I'll start whittling my wardrobe down once I've lived here for a full year and seen what works and what doesn't.

I would really like to have fewer clothes.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

I would have loved to wear a uniform when I worked out of the home. My husband wears a uniform and he can choose his clothes in the morning from the closet in a few seconds, even in the dark...grab a shirt, grab a pair of pants. I hated thinking of something different to wear everyday. I don't have a capsule wardrobe or a uniform today but I find that I wear the same few things all of the time. I could probably get rid of 90% of the clothing in my closet. I think I will make that a project.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    Yeah, my school shirts are all different colors. I only have the kids one day a week and apparently I once wore the green shirt every Wednesday for a month. One of my kids asked me if I had any other clothes.
    ONCE I did laundry and was tired, wore same outfit to work because I saw different patients each day, so they would never know. But both days it turned out I had to get supplies at the office and this one person saw me both days and said she couldn't believe I did that. None of her business, but explained everything was laundered, tyvm.

Like the OP, I wore a uniform to school every day, but then I went to a public high school and quickly learned the "NEVER repeat the same outfit Monday-Friday" rule. So, I've always considered having more than 5 outfits for work to be kind of a waste, a philosophy that was not lost on my coworkers (one snide coworker commented that the cost of one sweater from Nordstrom probably equals the cost of my whole wardrobe).

Regarding the laundry issue: the idea of a minimalist uniform does not necessarily mean you are washing more. When I went to acting school, I worked with a guy who wore the SAME THING every day: denim overalls and a white t-shirt. I also had questions about his laundry habits, until I visited his dorm room and he opened up his armoire, where there were two EXTREMELY neatly stacked piles of 7 sets of overalls and 7 white T-shirts. That was all he had in his armoire. Talk about simplicity! It was beautiful!

I don't have to have many "work clothes" now because I work from home 80% of the time and the occasions I travel I just rotate one of my few "client-ready" outfits--usually black pants/black skirt/blazer or black sweater and either a cream top or a more colorful one--mostly blue or red.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information