Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Having both hips replaced

Having both hips replaced

I decided to start a thread on this topic, since it sounds like many forum members know people who have had this surgery. I am having both of mine replaced at the same time next month. My doctor is Joel Matta, who is famous for teaching the anterior technique. He has done thousands of them. (He also co-designed the table that they use.) I researched all of the doctors across the US who received excellent reviews from their patients. The one thing they all had in common was that their doctors were trained by Dr. Matta.

I used to understudy Juliet Prowse, and she also had to have both of her hips replaced. One time I asked her why..."Use!" she answered. I remember hoping that wouldn't happen to me.

The recovery time with the anterior approach is much faster. They have you walking the next day. Most people are back to work in six weeks or less. I've been using weights, swimming, and doing physical therapy exercises. I think the stronger my legs are before surgery, the faster I'll recover.

The doctor said that I have worn away all of the cartilage on both hips, and that they both are bone on bone. My legs are wider apart than they should be, which makes my gait very strange.

Other than that, I'm in perfect health. I'm so glad I was able to switch my insurance to a plan that covers this doctor and the hospital he uses. Living simply enabled me to save money for emergencies. It's a good thing. This is not the time to find the cheapest doctor or to go to Mexico! I'm also glad that I have a small home without stairs!

Wishing you a successful surgery and a speedy recovery!!!!!

My mom had a hip replacement last year and is planning to have the other hip replaced next year, I believe. She talks about how much it has improved her quality of life; she was in a lot of pain on a daily basis prior to the surgery.

I think you're very wise to be so proactive about strengthening your body pre-surgery, awakenedsoul. I have a feeling you're going to recover in no time!!!
    The brain is wider than the sky. -- Emily Dickinson

Awakened, I am so sorry to hear of the existing condition of your hips. It must be very painful...it sounds like you have really done your research of who would be the best Dr. For this surgery. I feel bad that you have to have this surgery but I think with all of your prep work, you will heal much faster and be pain free. You might want to consider detoxing your body from the anesthesia...Just a thought...christine

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Wishing you a successful surgery and a speedy recovery!!!!!
    Thanks razz!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cdttmm View Post
    My mom had a hip replacement last year and is planning to have the other hip replaced next year, I believe. She talks about how much it has improved her quality of life; she was in a lot of pain on a daily basis prior to the surgery.

I think you're very wise to be so proactive about strengthening your body pre-surgery, awakenedsoul. I have a feeling you're going to recover in no time!!!
    Thanks cdttmm. I sure hope so. I hear of so many people like your mom. Most of them end up having the second hip replaced, eventually. I like the idea of doing them together, so that they match. One time under anesthesia, one hospital stay, one doctor. It's pretty amazing what they can do now.

It feels good to get as strong and healthy as I can before surgery. I've spent very little time in my life with doctors. In situations like this, though, I am grateful for modern medicine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussiemussies View Post
    Awakened, I am so sorry to hear of the existing condition of your hips. It must be very painful...it sounds like you have really done your research of who would be the best Dr. For this surgery. I feel bad that you have to have this surgery but I think with all of your prep work, you will heal much faster and be pain free. You might want to consider detoxing your body from the anesthesia...Just a thought...christine
    Thanks tussiemussies. I am so grateful that they have anasthesia. Remember in the olden days? There's no way I could have gone through with this back then. I'm very impressed with the videos of this doctor on Youtube. He is so relaxed and exact. I'm also really impressed with how well his students are performing the surgery. To me, that says a lot.

For some reason, using the machines at the gym has greatly reduced the pain. When I was losing muscle and the balls of the joint were moving it was much worse. It's a relief to know what's wrong, and to have a plan...

Good luck Awakened! I used to work at a world-renowned orthopedic rehab center, and the medical staff there definitely believed that going into surgery with strong muscles would help make for a good recovery.

I'm sure you are an excellent surgical candidate. I was with my mother for a week after her first hip surgery and she was small and relatively muscular, and recovered well. But she did exercises and the walking recommendations religiously. I don't know what exercises will be required with TWO hips to heal. Interesting.

With artificial parts in you, you will likely have to take massive doses of antibiotics when you go to the dentist for things as simple as teeth cleaning. I didn't know that until my mom had this surgery.

I wish you the best with your surgery; wow, having both done at once is very aggressive. While it will be wonderful to only have one surgery, I hope the healing goes well and you are mobile right away.

I also know people who have had hips and knees replaced. My friend who had her hip done at age 75 has always been very active. She was up and around right away, but it took a few months before she could walk a few miles. It's been 7 months since her surgery and she is completely back to normal. Being active she had great muscle tone, so you should do well also.

Thread Information