Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Having both hips replaced

Quote Originally Posted by freshstart View Post
    in one way, is it good if he writes you out for longer and you have disability, rather than risk a slip and fall and it all to have been for nothing? I had to be 100% as well, even though somedays I do not physically lift a patient. And they refuse to offer desk jobs. Will they at least give you the 3 months of FMLA? Two hips is nothing to sneeze at!
    freshstart, This is getting confusing because SiouzQ is posting about her broken toe on the hip replacement thread. She's the one on disability, who works at Whole Foods. My situation is different. I haven't been able to get work because of my hip injury. I'm hoping after I heal that I'll be able to audition again, without a limp. That's going to take some time.

it's probably only confusing to me, lol. I've probably already said this ten times, but do not remember if I did at all, lol. I have this huge ball of blood vessels in my brain sitting in a prime location to cause confusion, total loss of some memory, lack of comprehension. So I get confused very easily but other times I know what you just told me, it's bizarre.

How about I root for both of you to get better quickly? and forgive the complete confusion, just ignore, it goes away. Except for a month, I've been convinced it is January, I do not believe anyone who tells me otherwise. So strange, why that? My dad shoved me out on the deck when it was 92 out, nope, still January, lol. They hid my coat, hat and gloves because I totally would leave the house in those if not stopped, lmao

FreshStart--- You have an AVM? Do you occasionally have a problem with bleeding (not bursting)?

It's like an AVM but isn't that exactly. The workup isn't finished. I had two seizures and neuro thinks I have silent seizures, so on meds for that. I finally have a 24 hr EEG soon. Depending on what that shows, work up for bleeding would be next step. Which would mean a neurosurgery consult that I do not want, not that anybody does. Today I go to a neuropsychologist who tests my cognition, does an IQ test (I'm going to tell him if I've dropped more than 50 points, do not tell me the actual number, I want to know and I don't want to know, I don't want to get upset there). It has been so hard not to "practice" and try to anticipate what he will ask, like day, date, President (I've gotten Obama wrong twice and I love him!), but a doctor pointed out practicing and trying to memorize is exactly what I should NOT do because that will give false information. Which makes total sense.

Do you know someone with an AVM? I've known people with small ones that they just know that it is there and they just get periodical MRIs. Then I've had patients with them, who just get worse and worse and it's too late to operate. I'm convincing myself I'm in the first group and the confusion is from POT syndrome, that they found at the same times. With that, my pulse is in the 200s unless on high doses of meds that cause no audible BP, so falling, confused (oxygen goes to vital organs first), etc. That's been hard to treat, I've not had a pressure anyone can hear in months and months. But POTs sounds easier to fix than what is in my brain, so hoping for that to have been the case for the memory and confusion. I just cannot believe it's been almost a year since it all started, took until May to get correctly diagnosed. And they still aren't done with the assessments! I get we have to go slow, but this slow? A couple of weeks ago, I was put back on bedrest, feet above my heart with occasional outings (gobs of MD appts, fun!). Sorry to complain, I'm just freaking out about those cognitive tests today.

when I woke up it was Friday and I had nothing on for the day! Lovely. The world should adopt my calendar, it's always Friday, but it's also always January, the South would hate that, lol

Awakenedsoul, it's been a while since I was here, and I just skimmed the latest posts, so I don't know whether a couple very helpful aids have been mentioned.

1--buy 2 of those reacher/grabber doo-hickeys. You know, they're like long tongs. I say get 2, because seems like when you need one, if you only have one it will be in the opposite part of the house. You are warned not to bend over to pick up things, and they come in really handy.

2-- get an elevated toilet seat. You can get them at the medical equipment place. It really helps in those early days getting up and off. Believe me.

If I think of others, I'll chime in again. The only other thing---I was really proud of the way I made a "tote" bag for my walker for the times I was alone for carrying things (plates, bowls, etc.) from one room to another. Flat bottomed with handles you could tie and untie to and from the walker. There were times I was alone, and I couldn't exactly just stand at the sink eating. so I devised this carrier to get my meal from the kitchen to the table in the dining room.
    Last edited by KayLR; 8-14-15 at 3:18pm. Reason: couldn't, not could
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    Awakenedsoul, it's been a while since I was here, and I just skimmed the latest posts, so I don't know whether a couple very helpful aids have been mentioned.

1--buy 2 of those reacher/grabber doo-hickeys. You know, they're like long tongs. I say get 2, because seems like when you need one, if you only have one it will be in the opposite part of the house. You are warned not to bend over to pick up things, and they come in really handy.

2-- get an elevated toilet seat. You can get them at the medical equipment place. It really helps in those early days getting up and off. Believe me.

If I think of others, I'll chime in again. The only other thing---I was really proud of the way I made a "tote" bag for my walker for the times I was alone for carrying things (plates, bowls, etc.) from one room to another. Flat bottomed with handles you could tie and untie to and from the walker. There were times I was alone, and I could exactly just stand at the sink eating. so I devised this carrier to get my meal from the kitchen to the table in the dining room.
    Thanks Kay. I have one of those grabbers, but I'll get another. I already have one of those toilet seats. You're right, it's much easier. I'm going to get a fanny pack, too. My house is only 567 square feet, so there won't be much walking. I have a breakfast nook in the kitchen. (It's a big, old fashioned kitchen from the 1940's.)

Thanks for the tips. I'll keep that in mind with the walker. I have a handyman over here today. He's fixing all the little things for me. It feels good to get that stuff done.

There's a railroad tie in our backyard that was there when we moved in--presumably to separate the driveway mud from the yard mud. The clotheslines cross from yard to over driveway (small lot).
    I think deep in our hearts we know that our comforts, our conveniences are at the expense of other people. Grace Lee Boggs

Hi Guys, I'm back home from the surgery. It went really well. I able to do ten times more than I expected. I had excellent nurses, and the physical therapists were really encouraging. They told me that I'm way ahead of most people who have just had one hip replaced. I'm already able to do my daily tasks and chores. That's my physical therapy for the first two weeks. Can't wait to get the doggies back home from the kennel!

Thanks for all of the help. I took my shower this morning and was really glad I had all of the equipment. It made it much easier. Going to the gym every day made a big difference, too. I use all of the other muscles, especially the abs. Sometimes I forget that I need the walker!

Yay, Congratulations!!!

Wonderful news. I have to admit that having two hips replaced at once sounded so scary, I'm so happy you are recovering so well.

Thread Information