Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Having both hips replaced

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Best wishes awakenedsoul. Maybe during your recovery you will have some extra time to share in the discussions here. I always enjoy you perspectives.
    Why thanks Rogar. Good to see you. I enjoy yours, too. I'll have to look you up.

I had a hip replaced 5 years ago because I'd broken it falling over a railroad tie while hanging out clothes. My surgeon recommended a physical therapist who gave me exercises the surgeon said I should take the rest of my life. It's been real important to do them, they work muscles in a different way than hiking does. And they take maybe 10 minutes per day, not bad.

This surgery lasts 15-20 years no and then has to be repeated, but I heard that a couple of years ago and improvements may be in place already to extend that or eliminate the need to repeat altogether.

I think it's really cool you're doing them at the same time--so much better for your body, including only under anesthesia once. Good luck.

And if they want to give you shots while you're recovering, of something to prevent blood clots, do it. I didn't know why it was so important and declined and then blood clots went to my lungs--dangerous but I was on blood thinner for a few months after that and that solved it.
    I think deep in our hearts we know that our comforts, our conveniences are at the expense of other people. Grace Lee Boggs

Larknm.........I read your post too fast and was wondering why the heck you were hanging clothes out over the railroad.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Awakened Soul, here's wishing you a speedy recovery and back and up on your feet in a flash! You sound like you have a great attitude towards having this procedure done and I'm thinking that can only help your recovery. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by larknm View Post
    I had a hip replaced 5 years ago because I'd broken it falling over a railroad tie while hanging out clothes. My surgeon recommended a physical therapist who gave me exercises the surgeon said I should take the rest of my life. It's been real important to do them, they work muscles in a different way than hiking does. And they take maybe 10 minutes per day, not bad.

This surgery lasts 15-20 years no and then has to be repeated, but I heard that a couple of years ago and improvements may be in place already to extend that or eliminate the need to repeat altogether.

I think it's really cool you're doing them at the same time--so much better for your body, including only under anesthesia once. Good luck.

And if they want to give you shots while you're recovering, of something to prevent blood clots, do it. I didn't know why it was so important and declined and then blood clots went to my lungs--dangerous but I was on blood thinner for a few months after that and that solved it.
    Thank you so much for the insights, larknm. I will take the shots. I prefer to be safe rather than sorry. I've heard that the physical therapy is very important. I learned the exercises on line and have been doing them. It so important to keep the muscles strong and healthy.

I think that the materials now are better. I hope these hips will last me the rest of my life. Juliet Prowse had both of hers replaced, and just once. I'm also going to treat them well, and not kill myself in dance classes like I did when I was younger.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Larknm.........I read your post too fast and was wondering why the heck you were hanging clothes out over the railroad.
    CathyA, Don't you hang your clothes outside over the railroad? Just kidding...

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Awakened Soul, here's wishing you a speedy recovery and back and up on your feet in a flash! You sound like you have a great attitude towards having this procedure done and I'm thinking that can only help your recovery. Rob
    Hi Rob,

Thank you. I have been meaning to congratulate you. I'm glad to hear that things are going so well with your SO. Mexico sounded beautiful.

I think that attitude is really important for recovery, too. I have a lot of fear, (actually terror,) about the whole thing, but I am dealing with that and working my disciplines. I'm fortunate in that I have the master of hip replacements as my surgeon. He is very calm, confident, and capable. All of his patients say it's worth it to pay him cash to do the surgery. This is a big investment.

I went to pre op yesterday and passed all of the tests. Everything went really well, and I did my yoga breathing to stay calm. It makes a big difference. I can get my blood pressure to test normally (instead of low,) by breathing in for 8, holding for 8, and breathing out for 8. I really liked this doctor, too. She was so sweet. I haven't spent much time with doctors in my life, but I admire them. The two I've met have both been so intelligent, sensitive, and dedicated.

I have a nice woman from my knitting group staying with me after the surgery. She needs money, and I need help. I'm getting the house ready, and plan to make some casseroles.

Good luck, how great that you have such a good surgeon! Do you have a date for surgery yet?

Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post
    Good luck, how great that you have such a good surgeon! Do you have a date for surgery yet?
    Thanks kib. I agree. I watched my surgeon's video on Youtube, and my dog was thumping her tail at the sound of his voice. She's a very good judge of people. I have a date, but I don't feel comfortable posting that stuff on line.

Quote Originally Posted by awakenedsoul View Post
    I have a lot of fear, (actually terror,) about the whole thing, but I am dealing with that and working my disciplines. I'm fortunate in that I have the master of hip replacements as my surgeon. He is very calm, confident, and capable.
    I was a little apprehensive about my surgery as well. It helped me to know that there are about 4,000,000 arthroscopic knee procedures done every year. My surgeon said he does more than 100 a year and that I was, in fact, his third arthroscopic surgery that day, so I was pretty confident he knew what he would be looking at even if it was not a textbook case. It helped also when, during my pre-op physical, my GP noted the surgeon's name and said, "You got a good one." He actually knows the guy.

There still was the "I-hope-I-wake-up-from-general" fear. But *shrug* I didn't see avoiding surgery as much of an option and doing that, in fact, could have made things worse down the line. I woke up. I'm happy and I'm taking the opportunity (and the downtime) to rethink a few things about life (re-prioritizing). Not to be too dramatic about it -- people wake up from anesthesia all the time. But, hey, it's still surgery. It deserves respect and my life deserves the best I can give it.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information