(Full disclosure: I posted part of this question on another thread as a reply, but then decided it would be a worthwhile thread on its own.)

I feel like I am in a pickle, as many people do, regarding housing. Here is a description of this pickle. Tell me what you think:

-Most houses are too big, cost too much, require tons of maintenance, and are pricey to heat/cool.
-Tiny houses are illegal because of zoning, require tow trucks to move, and can cause social/privacy issues
-Living in a van is for creepers (unfortunately...) in most parts of the nation, also illegal in most places; I am not mechanical either.
-Living in a teepee is a sure fire way to get Lyme Disease and/or hypothermia and/or arrested
-Living in an apartment is giving your money to a landlord with nothing to show for it at the end (but do I want "something to show for it" at the end?)
-Living in an RV is expensive and has many complications that tiny houses and vans have
-Living in a house with room mates is often rather horrible because "hell is other people" and this is still like renting an apartment, though often cheaper
-Living in a teardrop trailer also shares many tiny house, RV, vandwelling issues; and you need a car (at least) to tow it.

So what is a workin' man to do for affordable housing that does not constitute a second full-time job to maintain?