Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Drone Defense

My county almost banned drones outright last year, they backed off a bit when they realized the problem was more nuanced. For instance, there are legitimate uses of drones for public safety and research, and their initial legislation would have forbidden all uses.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    My county almost banned drones outright last year, they backed off a bit when they realized the problem was more nuanced. For instance, there are legitimate uses of drones for public safety and research, and their initial legislation would have forbidden all uses.
    Cool county! Can I move there?

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    Cool county! Can I move there?
    We banned jet skis in 1996 as well, I think they went to the state Supreme Court over that one.

I suspect here if they don't get banned over private property soon, they are going to start falling from the sky...

What made you choose to live there?

There was some talk of that in our County, but apparently there are a few firms that provide agricultural services with drones as well as some disagreement over the degree of authority we had to make law in that area.

In Wisconsin, it's illegal to weaponize drones. I'm told they got the idea from a case in another State where some idiot tried to rig up a handgun on one. The police are required to obtain warrants when using them for gathering evidence, but not for search and rescue purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    What made you choose to live there?
    My wife and I in 1998 undertook a conscious effort to select a place to raise our newly-born daughter in. We set up a list of requirements, then travelled to many of the likely candidate locations to see if we liked them.

Requirements included:

- temperate climate
    - ocean/mountains nearby
    - small town/small-feeling city, with nearby very rural areas
    - active local music scene
    - educated population
    - low crime
    - no state income tax

We discovered this whole county entirely by accident when we came up here to investigate Port Townsend, WA. We knew 5 minutes after we stepped off the boat onto one of these islands that this was "the place". Though we had all of our spreadsheets/charts/graphs, the decision was more of a feeling of "this is right", just from the appearance and the vibe of the area.

We scheduled a trip to come back up here for a month to investigate all of the islands here and select a spot. The day after we arrived, the ferry crashed into the dock on this island and destroyed the dock facilities, making travel on/off the island nearly impossible for about a month. Seeing how the community pulled together to handle this quite serious crisis (it's our main supply lifeline...) sealed the deal for us.

My wife and I in 1998 undertook a conscious effort to select a place to raise our newly-born daughter in. We set up a list of requirements, then travelled to many of the likely candidate locations to see if we liked them.

Requirements included:

- temperate climate
    - ocean/mountains nearby
    - small town/small-feeling city, with nearby very rural areas
    - active local music scene
    - educated population
    - low crime
    - no state income tax

We discovered this whole county entirely by accident when we came up here to investigate Port Townsend, WA. We knew 5 minutes after we stepped off the boat onto one of these islands that this was "the place". Though we had all of our spreadsheets/charts/graphs, the decision was more of a feeling of "this is right", just from the appearance and the vibe of the area.

We scheduled a trip to come back up here for a month to investigate all of the islands here and select a spot. The day after we arrived, the ferry crashed into the dock on this island and destroyed the dock facilities, making travel on/off the island nearly impossible for about a month. Seeing how the community pulled together to handle this quite serious crisis (it's our main supply lifeline...) sealed the deal for us.
    Wow! All of this is really smart, darn near book-worthy!

I am very much interested in moving to a small town...

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    In Wisconsin, it's illegal to weaponize drones.
    I believe that it's also quite questionable at the Federal level. The BATF looks very closely at remote-operated and software-operated firearms, as it is pretty easy to put together something that technically is a machinegun, and that is a felony unless you have the correct manufacturers licenses and pay the tax stamps. These are mostly contained in individual case rulings at the moment, the BATF hasn't issued a general statement on the subject to my knowledge, so far they are looking at the details of each implementation.

We discovered this whole county entirely by accident when we came up here to investigate Port Townsend, WA. We knew 5 minutes after we stepped off the boat onto one of these islands that this was "the place". Though we had all of our spreadsheets/charts/graphs, the decision was more of a feeling of "this is right", just from the appearance and the vibe of the area. ...
    I've said it before--all the spreadsheets/charts/graphs in the world can't beat a visceral response. I'm so glad you found your right spot.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I've said it before--all the spreadsheets/charts/graphs in the world can't beat a visceral response. I'm so glad you found your right spot.
    This is an element of my van-living plan. That way I can try out places throughout Canada and/or the US without making any real commitment, and then get more settled if I find the ideal spot.

Thread Information