Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Helping a incoming freshman college student

Helping a incoming freshman college student

I know some of you have had children go off to college in recent years, so I wanted to pick your brains for ideas.

I've kind of mentored a young woman who is off to college for her freshman year later this month. She is from a poor family and is the first one ever to attend college. She is of a frugal, somewhat minimalist mindset who hates clutter. I want to help her both with a good list of what to take to school, as well as frugal tips for when she's there, and other ideas you might contribute to help her be successful at school.

Thankfully, she is on a full scholarship for tuition/room & board, but she still has to pay for books and other incidentals. She did very well in high school. She's a math whiz and is majoring in education with concentration in math. As such, she will be in high demand. She's up against some disapproval from extended family who don't believe college is a necessity, as they never needed it, plus beliefs that if a woman is going to teach, it should be English or teaching younger children.

Please share your ideas. I'll come back later with what I've shared with her.

It feels like yesterday when my DD went off to college.

Just to jog my memory, I googled, and found this great article about frugal packing for college. I think the slant on "frugal" is essential because you get so sucked in by what "everyone" says you need--like dorm fridges.

One of the great pieces of advice in the article is to go with the necessities and wait to see if you really do need the rest. I had a REALLY frugal roommate freshman year, which helped me rein in any impulse buys. I wanted us to go and buy matching, cute bedspreads, but she would have none of it. Her mother had two old chenille bedspreads and we bought RIT dye and spruced them up.

When it comes to room and board, I remember the big decision was whether to buy the super-duper meal plan or the more limited one, or none at all. The food at my DDs college was really good (IMHO anyway--we didn't have farm to table cafeterias at my college, that's for sure) and I think the worried mom in me was thinking I should give her every opportunity to eat well (forgetting, of course, that I gained 15 lbs my first semester away--so I surely didn't starve).

By the time we got to her junior year, we spent a lot less on food for her.

There are others here with more recent experience in this area, and I'm sure they'll have good ideas as well.

It's so great that you are mentoring her, Tradd! She's lucky to have you.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

A laptop was provided as a high school graduation gift from a family friend. The gifter waited until the young woman had found out specifically what she needed from her college. I'll be providing a printer and ink shipped via Amazon Prime once she arrives at school.

Clothes - the basic jeans and t-shirt/sweater/sweatshirt wardrobe, with two sets of workout clothes (including shoes), swimsuit for pool use, a couple of pair of shoes/boots. Fleece jacket. Umbrella. She's attending a state school four hours from home. Once she's away at school, she won't be home until Thanksgiving.

Bedding/linens: one set of XL sheets (yes, the dorm has those XL mattresses) and a fleece blanket, pillow. One set of towels (bath sheet, hand towel, two wash cloths).

My specific suggestion for odd items: a small fan (since dorms often don't have a/c and the first month or two can be warm), a couple of extension cords/power strips, flashlight and batteries, small battery operated radio, electric kettle. Also: a good insulated mug (she's a tea fanatic), a couple of plastic cups/plates/bowls with a set of cheap silverware.

She will be in a dorm room with one other girl. There are communal bathrooms on the floor. Each room has a microwave/fridge combo already there. There's a Walmart not to far from the school accessible by public transit. I suggested she hit Walmart for basic school supplies (one subject notebooks for each class, pens, etc.) and some food items to keep in her room (instant oatmeal, tea, granola bars, etc.).

I told her to use a pair of cheap flip flop sandals she already has for shower shoes (communal bathroom).
    Last edited by Tradd; 8-2-15 at 4:12pm.

First of all, she should eat all her meals on the free board plan! If friends want to eat out or get pizza or whatever she can either ell them "I'll come along, but I'm just hanging out, not buying food." or "if you want to cover me I'll swipe you in for lunch tomorrow (most colleges have a certain number of swipes on thei meal plan) but I'm not taking out student loans for pizza!". Tell her to be proud of those choices - my daughter's friends who graduated with huge loans now tell her how smart she was.

She doesn't need a fridge or a microwave or a tv or a stereo. Maybe a desk lamp, maybe not. Whatever computer is essential for her program - that will be the biggest bite. Ask around for used textbooks from students who just took the course. My dd even loaned a book to her friend.

Don't join a sorority, make friends with the best students in the class. If she's doing great, they'll want to study with her. If not, she should ask for their help.

Don't drink.

Cross posted, sorry. Don't buy pens, just pick up some free ones - go talk to several banks about what student checking/savings/cc programs they have. She'll want to optimize that, and take all their pens.

this isn't about "stuff" but after she's settled in fora year or so start talking her her about careers other than teaching. while the schools are desperate for math teachers and she would be employable,it's possible she will find she is interested in something else such as computer science and programming.

Two of those cute little plastic "tote" things with several divided sections from the dollar store, one for toiletries to go to the bathroom, one for makeup, etc. to use in her room. Plastic tote bag to take clothes/towels to/from the shower. Hair dryer? Laundry bag?

Also, I recommend renting textbooks, usually cost even less than buying used, but its important to get orders in early/quickly.

a lot of the colleges give printing credit so I'm not even sending printers with the boys. If they decide later it's easier to have one in their room then they'll get one.

I'm basically sending them with bedding (X-long twin sheets and mattress pads ordered off Amazon for a lot less than the recommended company that mailed us twice a week), they both rec'd 2 quilts as grad gifts, a few pillows, laundry basket and soap, a semesters worth of toiletries. A rug for in front of their bed. Alex bought a room fridge and a blender he can keep in the dorm kitchen (he needs his daily power smoothie). A basket of snacks to get them started, some cutlery and bowls/plates for room, and a wall clock. Hangers and extension cords, power strips. College kids tend to acquire room decor as they go. Even without a car they have access to shopping when needed (friends with cars or school shuttles).
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

It's been a long time since I was in college, but a few things I remember that would have saved some money are:

- Consider waiting to buy books until she's attended one or two sessions of each class. I wish I had the money I spent on books (especially workbooks) which were listed as "required" and which were never mentioned again by the instructor/professor.
    - Would a bicycle be handy for getting around campus? How about a comfortable backpack for books, snacks for those weird times between classes when there's not enough time for lunch, etc.?

By the same token, I'd be wary of the "don't-waste-a-paid-meal" approach. If that college's food service is anything like mine was, nothing will go to waste if the young lady does not show up for a meal. But part of college life is the exposure to new people and ideas. That does not happen only in class or in study group. Friendships and associations form over meals and during chats in the dorm hallway and at extracurricular activities. If your friend is invited out for pizza, she should go and eat pizza. Maybe after she's a regular in the group she can decide to eat at food service and just get some pop or tea or something. But college should not be just vocational training. And she doesn't want to look like the poor country mouse, either. For what college costs these days, a little money spent eating meals out (or going on ice-cream or donut runs) is nothing compared to the human experience it can bring.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

TxZen
    1. End of year is a great time to dumpster dive. College kids throw out EVERYTHING and some of it is brand new.
    2. Have a few comfort items. For me, it was a nice fleece, comfy shoes (lots of walking), sturdy messenger bag and bringing my camera. While studying is priority, don't forget to enjoy college and still pursue her passions.
    3. Ask for gift cards instead of cash, at her favorite places to shop for food, supplies and clothing. Also, easier to carry and less likely to be stolen than cash.
    4. Tickets to local attractions are good gifts too, so she can get out and explore.
    5. Small lock box. If she brings check books or has extra cash, etc..she can store in there and make sure it's safe. They have some pretty small, inconspicuous one's.

Thread Information