Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your hot button on environmental issues?

I couldn't agree more and I love Maslow's Hierarchy of needs, it still works after all these years. It's a long road, I fear, for more people to get to purple, for so many reasons. I may not be wording this the way I want to, but our government and big corporations often act like they want to keep people orange and red and running scared. This is a humongous number of people, if they organized in some fashion and demanded being "allowed" to move up... oh forget it, it's late and the odds of this ever happening makes me sad.

Quote Originally Posted by freshstart View Post
    I couldn't agree more and I love Maslow's Hierarchy of needs, it still works after all these years. It's a long road, I fear, for more people to get to purple, for so many reasons. I may not be wording this the way I want to, but our government and big corporations often act like they want to keep people orange and red and running scared. This is a humongous number of people, if they organized in some fashion and demanded being "allowed" to move up... oh forget it, it's late and the odds of this ever happening makes me sad.
    I love my new-found purple life. All you can do is share the purple philosophy with others and hope a few catch on. Sadly, most won't.

my hot button is very low level and relates to something I see and touch almost daily: recycling trash. It's funnry that mine is in such direct contrast to kib's lofty idea (but she is right! and an interesting overview of self actualization in the context of environmental responsibility.)

In my immediate neighborhood where people live in $300,000+ houses and are educated, socially aware, and they mouth platitudes about the environment, too much of their garbage is unsorted. I find cardboard in the compost dumpsters, bottles in the landfill dumpster, weeds in the landfill dumpster, etc. We have three places to sort garbage. And it is so easy because we have huge dumpsters in our alleys that hold most things. And then, the "bulk " items are picked up once a month--that is, if they are placed appropriately where the big trucks can get them.

So the fact that many of my educated, yuppie neighbors can't get it right signals that my ghetto/mixed income neighbors, over where I farm lilies and iris, are helpless idiots when it comes to garbage. Each day when I got over there to weed, I pick up trash on the street around my gardens. Sometimes I make an effort to clean up the smelly, rotting crap that surrounds their large dumpsters. They have double the number of dumpsters, I guess because they are so useless at utilizing them. Yesterday, I picked up gobs of fake hair that would skeeve most people out, but I figured that if I didn't do it, no one would.

To be fair, the mixed income neighborhood borders a busy street where there are fast food and gas mart places, and much of the street trash comes from there. But all of the hair extensions, nope--those are from residents.

We watched the documentary "The True Cost" about the impact of fashion on people and the planet. Next to BIG oil, the clothing industry is the second biggest polluter on the planet. http://truecostmovie.com/about/ If this wasn't a "hot button" before watching, it now is!

Quote Originally Posted by lessisbest View Post
    We watched the documentary "The True Cost" about the impact of fashion on people and the planet. Next to BIG oil, the clothing industry is the second biggest polluter on the planet. http://truecostmovie.com/about/ If this wasn't a "hot button" before watching, it now is!
    I have been wanting to see The True Cost but just have not gotten around to it.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    my hot button is very low level and relates to something I see and touch almost daily: recycling trash.
    I'm not too worried about that, because I take the long view. All that stuff will most likely end up in a landfill, which will preserve the materials for a loooooong time. Some future generation will use these landfills as very concentrated/rich resource extraction sites. It will all get recycled, just a bit further down the timeline :-)

Of course, at the rate we are going they may be digging it up with hand tools...

Some people already live this way: http://www.theguardian.com/environme...sh-dump-brazil

Quote Originally Posted by lessisbest View Post
    Interesting. I had no idea. Another reason to be a nudist minimalist.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestra View Post
    Interesting. I had no idea. Another reason to be a nudist minimalist.
    You can't be both?!

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    Ayup.

See also:

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Makin...-waste-pickers

Thread Information