Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you need some frugal inspiration

If you need some frugal inspiration

I had not heard of this couple but find their story very inspirational:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/laurenge...ly-retirement/

That is a great article.

I love Frugalhound.
    The brain is wider than the sky. -- Emily Dickinson

When I see articles like this one I love reading the comments, which are usually mostly from folks explaining why plans like the Frugalhounds' are, if not destined for failure, fraught with peril. They'll get sick, or the stock market will crash, etc. etc. Or, another frequent theme, that living a frugal lifestyle is so inherently miserable that only a fool would give up life's comforts for the sake of some far-off goal.

This is a great article!

Looking around their blog, it does seem like their diet is a lot more spartan than mine would be. I especially like their do it yourself philosophy; seems like everyone we know pays people for services. That being said, our washer went out; I spent a lot of time on the web trying to figure out how to fix it but ended up calling a repairman we trust. If it costs too much to fix, we will look for a used mechanical one as a replacement, ie no digital, computerized crap.

I think of financial independence as sharing some of the same challenges as retirement: what to do with all my time? What do I really want to do now that I have a choice? What gives me purpose in life?

I see these same issues for people who simplify to the extreme.

Once the big goal is met (whether that's retirement, financial independence, or completely simplified) - now what do we do?

While all these big goals are wonderful - I don't think people are prepared for the lack of direction once they are met. So my only concern is whether they will hit an existential crisis upon reaching the big goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    I think of financial independence as sharing some of the same challenges as retirement: what to do with all my time? What do I really want to do now that I have a choice? What gives me purpose in life?

Once the big goal is met (whether that's retirement, financial independence, or completely simplified) - now what do we do?

While all these big goals are wonderful - I don't think people are prepared for the lack of direction once they are met. So my only concern is whether they will hit an existential crisis upon reaching the big goal.
    I definitely think about this kind of stuff. I was worried about what I would do at FI, and if I would see those years to get there as a waste. I made a decision to live in the moment (within reason) instead of just striving for FI. I'll probably still get there some day, but the journey is much more interesting now. And now that I'm self-employed with tons of things to do all the time, I'm not worried about wondering what I would do in retirement anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post

Well, my lack of direction and purpose has been nearly a lifelong thing, I had a couple brief moments of purpose and direction, even meaning, when I was in my 20s. Those times were rather fleeting though.

As someone who has simplified to the extreme, I can answer the "now what do we do?" question.

Go fishing!

If I retire someday: Go fishing!

Thanks for posting this link. I just wasted half my afternoon browsing their blog! Good stuff.

Thread Information