Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hey!

welcome, thunderseed.

Yes, creatures steal fruit from the trees. Just yesterday I wrote a post about how squirrels here have decimated out fruit trees--they've taken all of the apples and plums, earlier in the spring they stripped peaches and apricots. I would think that rats would so the same thing. DH calls the squirrels "tree rats."

thunderseed
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    welcome, thunderseed.

Yes, creatures steal fruit from the trees. Just yesterday I wrote a post about how squirrels here have decimated out fruit trees--they've taken all of the apples and plums, earlier in the spring they stripped peaches and apricots. I would think that rats would so the same thing. DH calls the squirrels "tree rats."
    Does this happen every season for you or are the critters just more active this year? Because this is the first year I've had missing apples since I've lived here. I'm surprised they didn't eat all the plums and pears too.
    I would love to have peaches! I wonder if a scarecrow would work.

Well if rats are anything like those little mice they would be able to climb trees. I just can't imagine a giant rat being able to climb a tree. I went on a solo kayaking trip last summer and spent the night on a gulf island that was infested with mice. I was in a hammock that had a mosquito net barrier, and all the mice were climbing up the trees and trying to find hiding spots on my hammock from all the bigger predators lurking around that night, needless to say, I didn't get much sleep that night lol. They must have been brought over by boats and ships because there was only a couple of houses on that island. Anyway that's the first time I learned that mice could climb trees, I had no idea they could.

Welcome, thunderseed! I hope you find this forum a comfortable respite from your view of the electronic world.

Personally, I love the Internet and most of what it has enabled. Forums like this one, for example. How else would I have met such a great collection of kindred spirits? These folks have been invaluable in the progression of my simple life.

But, then, I am realistic about what passes for privacy these days; I'm fine with establishing boundaries with others (known and unknown); my computer and phone spend far more time un-looked at than fussed over; and I don't look at anything just because it's right in front of me. The responsibility ultimately is mine.

I live in a larger city. I liken the Internet to such a city. You do have to be aware of your surroundings and to be prepared for dealing with people a certain way (not always in fear, either). There are parts of larger cities which can be risky to visit and may best be avoided. In return, though, there are opportunities in larger cities that exist nowhere else. I'm guessing you do not live in a larger city?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to what you contribute here!
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

thunderseed
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Welcome, thunderseed! I hope you find this forum a comfortable respite from your view of the electronic world.

Personally, I love the Internet and most of what it has enabled. Forums like this one, for example. How else would I have met such a great collection of kindred spirits? These folks have been invaluable in the progression of my simple life.

But, then, I am realistic about what passes for privacy these days; I'm fine with establishing boundaries with others (known and unknown); my computer and phone spend far more time un-looked at than fussed over; and I don't look at anything just because it's right in front of me. The responsibility ultimately is mine.

I live in a larger city. I liken the Internet to such a city. You do have to be aware of your surroundings and to be prepared for dealing with people a certain way (not always in fear, either). There are parts of larger cities which can be risky to visit and may best be avoided. In return, though, there are opportunities in larger cities that exist nowhere else. I'm guessing you do not live in a larger city?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to what you contribute here!
    I live in a small town and love it. I'd honestly hate to live in a big city with all its gross smog and pollution and noise pollution and just way too many people and overwhelming things and ugly architecture. Buidings are ugly, to me, nature is beautiful. I grew up in the country on a dairy farm before moving to this town too, so I actually sometimes get annoyed about this city, despite how small it is. I really hate technology maybe everyone should stop encouraging my rants lol. They just installed these smart meters, I think they are going to get us to start paying for water soon, but you can bet I'm protesting that. I'm still not used to having neighbours and all the things that come along with city life.

And I suppose you could have met kindred folks in real life, by attending a club. At least, that's what I do haha. I like to join all sorts of clubs, meet new people. I honestly don't trust people online. Maybe it wouldn't be these folks you meet - well, maybe it would be since it's sometimes a small world - but I'm willing to bet that if you joined a real club, you would have better and stronger relationships with people. Honestly, I don't get how people seem to think internet relationships are anywhere close to being the same as real relationships.

I understand that a lot of people seem to believe that internet relationships are authentic and fulfilling and/or are just the same as friendships in real life, but you could never know for sure if I am who I say I am, and would any of these people that are kindred spirits, literally come over to your house and hang out with you like actual flesh and blood friends would do? Are they really, truly friends, do they really, truly care about you...
    I reckon that deep relationships that are established online as well as long distance are quite rare, not impossible, but very rare, and definitely never fulfilling enough, because you always end up wanting to meet the person for real.
    I do have a very close friend whom I met on a forum so I do believe it's possible but in all the time I've spent wasting my time on forums that has happened only once, we've been emailing back and fourth for years since, but the online, long distance thing really reared its ugly head when he just stopped emailing me for a period of time quite recently actually, and I thought he was dead. I was so concerned but had no other way of getting a hold of him. It's not the same as it would be if he were here in person. When I thought he had died, I realized just how terrible it was that I never got to meet him in real life and although I was looking up obituaries in Ohio, I was really sad that I wouldn't be able to go to his funeral because it's so far away and I have no way of getting there. He's not doing well right now, still alive thankfully, but going through a hard time and there's nothing I can do because our relationship is based on a computer screen.
    If it was in real life and one of my friends in town was having a rough time, I'd be over there right now. Can't do anything over the internet, because that's all it is, the internet. It's not real. It's not a good enough replacement for real relationships. You can't touch someone online, you can't see their facial expresions when they talk, you can't truly be there for them.

I feel exactly the same way about phones too though. Everyone who knows me is quite irritated by the fact that I don't text and that I don't like talking on phones, but that's just me, I am not fond of technology and how separated I think it makes people. I make the effort to show up in person when people want to make appointments, instead of doing it over the phone, and I get really insulted when people tell me important news via text.
    For example, my sister recently texted me that she got engaged. It's so impersonal... Why wouldn't she take the time to come visit me and tell me in person? If I had something important like that to tell a loved one, I would want to tell them in person. Granted, whenever I have anything to say to anyone I prefer to tell them in person, because typing something or texting something or talking over the phone all seems very impersonal to me.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderseed View Post
    I live in a small town and love it. I'd honestly hate to live in a big city with all its gross smog and pollution and noise pollution and just way too many people and overwhelming things and ugly architecture. Buidings are ugly, to me, nature is beautiful.
    Nature is beautiful -- until it isn't (hurricanes, algae blooms, etc.). On the other hand, I've seen jewelry and sculptures and water pitchers and cars that are truly beautiful, too, even if they're not "natural".

I understand that a lot of people seem to believe that internet relationships are authentic and fulfilling and/or are just the same as friendships in real life, but you could never know for sure if I am who I say I am, and would any of these people that are kindred spirits, literally come over to your house and hang out with you like actual flesh and blood friends would do? Are they really, truly friends, do they really, truly care about you...

I reckon that deep relationships that are established online as well as long distance are quite rare, not impossible, but very rare, and definitely never fulfilling enough, because you always end up wanting to meet the person for real.
    In today's society, there must be some acceptable ground short of "if it's not real-life it isn't happening". People move for school, for work, for familiies. They work odd shifts. They're preoccupied by child care or being part of startup companies or caring for elderly parents. Sure, it's great to meet in person. But that it can't always happen does not invalidate a relationship. Especially these days when thousands of miles can separate friends and family.

I wrote last week in another thread here about two people who tracked me down (via that evil Facebook) to tell me that, now that the tornadoes in their lives had settled down, they wanted me to know that they appreciated some things I had done for them in the midst of the storms. Yes, they probably could have visited a public library and maybe found a publication that had my name and address/phone number in it. But neither one of them can make the trip to where I am now to express their appreciation in person anyway. It may be bits and bytes and electrons, but reading those notes made me feel good -- both for their having landed on their feet and progressing, and for the part I played in that, however small. Maybe it's impersonal to you but I'll take happiness and gratitude any way it comes.

I feel exactly the same way about phones too though. Everyone who knows me is quite irritated by the fact that I don't text and that I don't like talking on phones, but that's just me, I am not fond of technology and how separated I think it makes people.
    There's nothing wrong with feeling that way -- as long as you realize most of the rest of the world has moved on from that point of view and that holding that point of view does not make them bad people.

As a corollary, I belonged to a real live social organization maybe 15 years ago that had both coworkers and retirees. The retirees were complaining that they weren't hearing about club events soon enough. Most of the club's communication was done by email and they didn't have PCs and they didn't think having a computer was a requisite to belonging to the club. Of course, they were right -- it wasn't. Of course, neither was having a phone. But when people are volunteering what little time they have to manage a social organization and can notify 28 out of 32 members with one email delivered with a push of a button, that email gets sent. And the four who have to be called individually or get letters dropped in the mail? Well, that didn't always happen.

Not that people should just let technology or pop culture wash over them. But standing out is not without risk. And people seem to like the way things are right now.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

thunderseed
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Nature is beautiful -- until it isn't (hurricanes, algae blooms, etc.). On the other hand, I've seen jewelry and sculptures and water pitchers and cars that are truly beautiful, too, even if they're not "natural".

In today's society, there must be some acceptable ground short of "if it's not real-life it isn't happening". People move for school, for work, for familiies. They work odd shifts. They're preoccupied by child care or being part of startup companies or caring for elderly parents. Sure, it's great to meet in person. But that it can't always happen does not invalidate a relationship. Especially these days when thousands of miles can separate friends and family.

I wrote last week in another thread here about two people who tracked me down (via that evil Facebook) to tell me that, now that the tornadoes in their lives had settled down, they wanted me to know that they appreciated some things I had done for them in the midst of the storms. Yes, they probably could have visited a public library and maybe found a publication that had my name and address/phone number in it. But neither one of them can make the trip to where I am now to express their appreciation in person anyway. It may be bits and bytes and electrons, but reading those notes made me feel good -- both for their having landed on their feet and progressing, and for the part I played in that, however small. Maybe it's impersonal to you but I'll take happiness and gratitude any way it comes.

There's nothing wrong with feeling that way -- as long as you realize most of the rest of the world has moved on from that point of view and that holding that point of view does not make them bad people.

As a corollary, I belonged to a real live social organization maybe 15 years ago that had both coworkers and retirees. The retirees were complaining that they weren't hearing about club events soon enough. Most of the club's communication was done by email and they didn't have PCs and they didn't think having a computer was a requisite to belonging to the club. Of course, they were right -- it wasn't. Of course, neither was having a phone. But when people are volunteering what little time they have to manage a social organization and can notify 28 out of 32 members with one email delivered with a push of a button, that email gets sent. And the four who have to be called individually or get letters dropped in the mail? Well, that didn't always happen.

Not that people should just let technology or pop culture wash over them. But standing out is not without risk. And people seem to like the way things are right now.
    I just love hurricanes and earth disasters, but I understand what you mean. People can create a lot of beautiful things with their imaginations. I still don't think buildings are one of them, although I am fond of some off grid architecture. I swear people could use their powers to create many better things, or maybe even reinvent architecture so that is is one with nature or at least more aesthetically pleasing. Sometimes I think the things we look at on a daily basis can really influence our moods. I don't want to be looking at pavement all day long, that's for sure.
    And I have to admit I am in love with antique cars. None of these modern cars today, the old, loud ones that really ruin the environment LoL. My dad has a 1969 superbee and a 1966 charger! We are dodge fans, although I keep trying to convince him to buy more cars.

Honestly, sometimes I do think it makes them bad people, or at least people who are lacking in morals and ethics. When you go to a restauraunt with someone you should be paying attention to them and talking to them, not playing on your cellphone, that's just polite, but most people these days have forgotten how to be polite, how to have morals... I don't think a lot of people have decent morals anymore. It shouldn't be considered ethical to tell someone that someone has died over facebook, or to text your sister that you are getting engaged. It's all so impersonal and unethical. Sometimes I wonder about this society...

Some people like the way things are right now, but I've met an increasingly huge amount of people who are really not happy with the way the world is headed.

I think if your friends are taking social phone calls while talking to you it's rude (barring emergencies of course). But a stranger at a restaurant answering calls, as someone who is on call for work sometimes in off work hours, I understand it.

I think a lot of the things about society have actually been that way for a long time (certainly before the internet was so big because I'm old enough to remember). Starting when? I don't know really. With the adoption of television perhaps. With the automobile? Shrug.
    Trees don't grow on money

thunderseed
    Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    I think if your friends are taking social phone calls while talking to you it's rude (barring emergencies of course). But a stranger at a restaurant answering calls, as someone who is on call for work sometimes in off work hours, I understand it.

I think a lot of the things about society have actually been that way for a long time (certainly before the internet was so big because I'm old enough to remember). Starting when? I don't know really. With the adoption of television perhaps. With the automobile? Shrug.
    Well I'm only 27 and things have changed so much since I was a kid. I sound like such an old person saying this lol but back in the day when I was young we used to play outside for hours, we were rarely indoors, we never had cellphones or the internet. Computers back then were giant bulky things that we only used to practice typing on at school. When we wanted to get together with friends we didn't call them, we simply just walked around the neigbhorhood or went to the usual hang out spots until we ran into eachother. We were excited to just play a few hours of nintendo, but we didn't play video games all day long like kids do today. Our parent's let us play out in the dirt and manure, and today parent's freak out when their children get dirty, but because we got dirty all the time we never got sick as much as kids do today.
    Back in the day, people were more polite. The town I live in used to be so friendly. Now no one even makes eye contact or says hello. People would actually talk to eachother instead of stare at technology devices. It has changed so much that I really don't recognize society today in comparison to how it was back then.

Hi, thunderseed. I agree a lot with what you say about how people abuse technology. If I'm talking to someone and they start looking at their phone, I stop talking to them. That tells me that they don't want to talk to me. I have a SIL who's staring at her phone all the time. This has made it hard for me to get to know her, because she's cutting herself out of the conversation.

I love the internet, though. It has opened my whole up to countless ideas that I would have never imagined before I had it. But all good things must be had in moderation. I leave it alone when I'm around other people, until there's a question someone has that requires I look up the answer.

Welcome Thunderseed. I don't carry a cellphone (we actually broke down last year and bought a $30. Tracfone, but it sits on the kitchen table most of the time. I work in Boston, and when I see everyone walking around and riding on the trains and buses all staring at their phones, it reminds me of a low-budget horror movie, and I'm one of the few who has escaped the "Death Ray from Outer Space" or something. I read paper books on the train & the bus.
    The people I dine with know enough to turn their phones off and put them away in the restaurant (at least most of the time).
    Nature is the best, but living in New England, I must say that I really love so much of the old architecture. The brick and granite buildings in these old port cities are just wonderful, with great little cupolas and widow's walks and such. Trees are my very favorite things, but I'm glad I get to live in a house, and don't have to reside under a Camperdown Elm
    Technology is truly a double-edged sword. I've been on this forum long enough to feel like I know and really care about many of the people here. Some of them have done meet-ups when geography & circumstances favored it. I can count quite a few people who I met online (mostly FB, but one on Dead-Net) and subsequently went on to meet in person. So I do believe internet relationships can be valid, but certainly not a substitute for person to person interactions.
    I look forward to building a relationship with you on the SLF forums if you decide to hang out with us

Thread Information