Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: How do I make cleaning more simple?

Steve, I almost blew out my tea through my nose! You described me to a tee! My DH has not trained me yet. I feel bad about it, but I'm just the distracted type. My mind is often just somewhere else.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    The drawer thing is quite self evident. She's the type of person that doesn't like closure.
    Heh. I do believe you've nailed it!
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    I'm just the distracted type. My mind is often just somewhere else.
    Her daughter uses the term "scattered". I try not to use that term because I don't handle "scattered" well.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

So I am not alone in having a distracted, messy spouse. It is a good thing I love him because like Steve said I would not tolerate a room mate like this)

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    So I am not alone in having a distracted, messy spouse. It is a good thing I love him because like Steve said I would not tolerate a room mate like this)
    I find this interesting as so far I'm tolerating messy roommates better than I did a messy spouse. I think because there's no emotional connection, no joint decisions, I don't feel that my roommates are disregarding my feelings or anything if they are messy. I don't feel any need to clean up after my roommates as I don't have the same desire to keep "our house" nice as I did when I was married. I just worry about my own bedroom and cleaning up after myself in the kitchen. Hmm, definitely something I need to ponder further, exactly what the differences are, and what my emotional triggers are. Will probably be important re: future relationships.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm messy; I definitely would have dealt with the knife on the counter right away. But my husband is always asking me if my business in a drawer, cupboard, etc. is finished. I think I work so fast I just don't always get them closed....or I think I'm going to get back into them again in a little minute....so I don't close them right away. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by Kestra View Post
    I find this interesting as so far I'm tolerating messy roommates better than I did a messy spouse.
    I think one can deal with roommates with more distance/casual-ness than one can use with most spouses/significant others.

Since I left my last day job, my job has been to take care of the house, so it's kind of all in the job. And DW has compensations beyond frequently forgetting to finish what she starts. I could have a wife who always puts away what she takes out and closes every door she opens -- and has some other serious issue (distracted driver, more-than-social drinker, etc.). This is not a major deal; I never go to bed angry because of it and she'll laugh about it as much as I will. I just wish I understood her mind process a little better.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderseed View Post
    I am terrible when it comes to cleaning up after myself. It's a huge problem. I've gone and downsized everything, became minimal but yet there is still clutter. I swear that even when I go ultralight camping, I still make messes.

It all piles up after a few days because I take things out and tell myself I'll put it away later but later never comes until it's all a giant mess. When something has to go in the garbage, I think to myself, "the garbage can is so far away, I'll just leave it here on the counter..."

So are there any easier ways to make house cleaning easy and more simple? Is there a way to make it fun or enjoyable?
    And how on earth do I motivate myself to actually want to clean up after myself in the moment?

For example, after I cook a meal and eat it, I don't feel like cleaning everything up afterwards, I just feel like relaxing. I know some people get up after a meal and clean everything up right away but I never feel like doing it so it doesn't get done.

I can understand cleaning is a major concern. Check out the following link:

http://www.realsimple.com/home-organ...-cleaning-tips

Here, you will surely find the easiest and simple ways of house cleaning.

I fill up the sink first and wash dishes as I cook. By the time I am finished eating the pans are cool enough to dunk in water, so I wash what is left and I am done. I don't let things pile up. If there are other people in your home, then they should help out with the cleaning too.

Thread Information