Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: How do I make cleaning more simple?

thunderseed, I've only read your Welcome thread and a couple of threads in this section of SLF, but I'm perceiving a lot of absolutism that I don't believe is serving you well. I want to be careful here because I don't want to seem confrontational (esp. to a newbie) but I am known for being direct, and "direct" does not have to mean "hurtful", so my apologies if this does come on too strong.

I read of many things you feel you "should" do. You've described several issues which you are treating symptomatically rather than out of an understanding of why you are doing them.

For example, extreme minimalism does not appear to have solved your clutter problem. It's a great minimalist goal to have one do-everything hold-it-all garbage can. But if what belongs in there never gets there, that minimalism is a hollow victory. It may be better to have bins for garbage and recycling in each room you use so it can be disposed of as soon as it's created. That's not extreme minimalism -- but it does address a habit that you claim bothers you.

And that's kind of my point -- in the service of one admirable goal, you're ignoring your own reality. It's admirable to be able to live on $75 a week (if I recall another thread correctly). But if your family is supplementing your income now at four times that amount, you're ignoring your own reality. You mentioned being on a disability income. I won't pry about that, but you must know that a disability strong enough to qualify for its own income stream comes with some limitations in living life -- and that those must be accommodated regardless of how ideal a goal may sound.

My wife likes to say, "Sometimes it costs more to be me." She's right. Sometimes it costs all of us to be who we are. Please accept that, try as you might to do something, it just may not be in the cards for that collection of beliefs and abilities and habits called thunderseed. Understanding yourself will be a great first step toward true simplicity.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

thunderseed
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    thunderseed, I've only read your Welcome thread and a couple of threads in this section of SLF, but I'm perceiving a lot of absolutism that I don't believe is serving you well. I want to be careful here because I don't want to seem confrontational (esp. to a newbie) but I am known for being direct, and "direct" does not have to mean "hurtful", so my apologies if this does come on too strong.

I read of many things you feel you "should" do. You've described several issues which you are treating symptomatically rather than out of an understanding of why you are doing them.

For example, extreme minimalism does not appear to have solved your clutter problem. It's a great minimalist goal to have one do-everything hold-it-all garbage can. But if what belongs in there never gets there, that minimalism is a hollow victory. It may be better to have bins for garbage and recycling in each room you use so it can be disposed of as soon as it's created. That's not extreme minimalism -- but it does address a habit that you claim bothers you.

And that's kind of my point -- in the service of one admirable goal, you're ignoring your own reality. It's admirable to be able to live on $75 a week (if I recall another thread correctly). But if your family is supplementing your income now at four times that amount, you're ignoring your own reality. You mentioned being on a disability income. I won't pry about that, but you must know that a disability strong enough to qualify for its own income stream comes with some limitations in living life -- and that those must be accommodated regardless of how ideal a goal may sound.

My wife likes to say, "Sometimes it costs more to be me." She's right. Sometimes it costs all of us to be who we are. Please accept that, try as you might to do something, it just may not be in the cards for that collection of beliefs and abilities and habits called thunderseed. Understanding yourself will be a great first step toward true simplicity.
    Thank you these are some things I have to think about, and I am aware that I have the tendency to ignore my own reality, ironically, aware of how unaware I can be. You sound a lot like my spirit guide, which is a good thing, he is very wise and tends to lecture me a lot when I do stupid things haha. I enjoy and appreciate directness, I know some people don't, but I do.

I guess I'm concerned about my lack of organization because I really have nothing else to focus on in my life, I guess you could say I'm kind of depressed right now and really want to appreciate my house. I suppose getting my house in order is something I can have control of, when everything else in my life seems out of control.
    I would like to find simplicity, yet it seems so out of reach when my future is in dissaray, so I thought getting physical things in order might help.

I understand myself, I just don't always want to face it, if you know what I mean.

I've been given reason to worry about my security here, my parent's don't like giving me 300 dollars a month. They are supporting me temporarily and said they would continue until I find a job, but honestly I'm not going to find a job and we all know it and I'm not sure if one day they will just cut me off.
    I am not attempting to find a job and I fear that one of these days they are going to stop helping me out.
    I've accepted that a job is not in the cards for me, it's just not what I want to do, something I can't do in fact. There's a reason why im on disabliity welfare. I want to volunteer for a living, but it's not reasonable that I do that and also have this amazing house and all these amazing things at the same time, so I just keep thinking that I should go ahead and accept my fate as it is.
    Honestly I wouldn't mind living in nothing but a tent and not having anything, but I've come to love this house and all the things that have been given to me... It worries me a lot. I don't think I will ever be able to keep it, if you know what I mean, because I don't want to work and I even if I did, I can't.

It's not admirable to live on 75$ a week, it's downright impossible and I really don't want to have to go to that, but I'm sort of preparing myself because I fear that it's going to happen. I mean, what happens if my parent's die or something, or they just decide to stop lending me money so that I can survive. I can't possibly rely on them for the rest of my life. And I have no idea where my life is leading me, I just don't know so I'm trying to be realistic.
    Obviously if the only money I can get is 300 dollars a month then I would have to learn to survive on 75 dollars a week. I can't forsee me ever getting roomates to help pay costs, I tried going down that route, but I've lived alone for so long that I just couldn't do it.

I've dreamed about starting a non profit wilderness camp or resort, that way I could just live there and volunteer for a living, helping people.

I don't want to have nothing. I am very happy with the things i have right now, I just fear that I won't always have them because I'm unsure what's going to happen. I don't know why I've been so blessed with all these things and I haven't done anything for it.

thunderseed, a saying comes to mind: "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice." Changing nothing substantial in your life right now pretty much guarantees that when things hit the fan (they always do) you're going to have to decide out of desperation, not out of understanding and choice and opportunity.

Ideal or not, the developed world functions on money. Barter is essentially trading items instead of numbers on a piece of paper. But, somehow, you're going to need to ensure a future for yourself beyond welfare/disability. I'm kind of puzzled that you don't like to work but that you'd like to start a wilderness camp or resort. Unless you've got buckets of money to buy the property and maintain it and to shower on a staff that makes it all happen, you will have to work to make that happen. And the buckets of money aren't going to come unless you work for them somehow.

You mentioned in another post that you're an artist but that you don't ilke to sell your art. This is a gift: you have artistic ability and it appears you're good enough that people want to pay you for your art. But you refuse? Here's an income stream just waiting to happen. Why forgo it?

A friend of mine is a fine-art painter. Some of her work goes for thousands of dollars. Right in her studio is a plaque with "The Rules of Art" Rule #6 (or somesuch) is "Art is a job." Without a patronage system like they had back in the 18th century, few artists can just do their thing and wait for the world to find them. They have to buy food and pay for art supplies and maybe even studio space. Many artists never break through to even the degree my friend has. If this is a fairly painless way of making the money you say you want, why not pursue it?

If you don't like the business end of it, you may have to stick that out for a while until you can hire/barter with someone to do that work for you while you enter your studio and create. But many who've started their own business can relate to countless hours spent doing the back-office work so that someday their business could be big enough to let them get back to what they liked to do best. Part of the territory.

I think you also need to reflect and decide whether your discomfort about an uncertain future outweighs your discomfort at working somewhere anywhere. I also think it would be helpful to find a trusted friend -- or, better, a therapist -- with whom you could discuss your feelings of ennui and lack of interest in life events in which you haven't even participated. As others have mentioned, this very well could be depression -- all of it -- and identifying it, addressing it metabolically if necessary, and moving on is essential to a fulfilling life. At 27, pardon my saying so, you haven't had that fulfilling life yet.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Depression doesn't necessarily consist of sitting around feeling sad all the time, so it's possible you could have it and not be aware you have it since there are many other symptoms. You are also very anxious about what *might* happen in the future rather than enjoying what you have and are experiencing in the here and now. I am "guilty" of it too and it is something I am working on in my own life. All that worry can be very de-energizing.

I don't recall your mentioning your type of disability, so not sure why you would be able to do volunteer work, but not other kind of work, but if you get into a situation where you think you can work, you could try working for some of the wilderness camps that already exist, or maybe your town has a parks and recreation department that may need some help, and you could bring in a bit of income and help restore your confidence.
    Rebecca

Saddle up my traveling shoes, I'm bound to walk away these blues.

thunderseed
    Well it's not easy to explain and some of it is unexplainable, and spiritual in nature. You see, life isn't always logical, especially not when it comes to following your heart and your true calling.

Quite frankly, I know exactly what I want in life and exactly who I am and who I wish to become. I am a spiritual Humanitarian and that is what I want for my future as well. I have made the decision and choice to not support money because I believe money is the root of all evil.
    I believe that as long as I follow my heart I will be provided for by the universe, or God or whatever you call it. And surprisingly that has been the case. I have a whole house to myself, there are times I really cannot believe how blessed I have been. So I do have enough trust to keep following this plan of following my heart, despite how unlogical it is.

My don't get me wrong. I am an analytical person in nature and I have a lot of qualms about this plan. I have worries that it's not going to work out. I feel like I should be more logical.

But it's honestly not what is in the cards for me. There's no way I can explain it in a way that makes sense to anyone, beleive me I have tried.

Basically, I have fought and fought and fought so much to try to take control of my own life and get a job. I've actually tried to settle and get many different jobs I wouldn't really be passionate about. I have tried so many times but no matter what, it's like some giant universal force prevents me from that path. It's not me. I've even had other people help me with these goals and they too become astonished at all the WEIRD things that happen to prevent it from ever happening. A lot of people tell me, don't give up, but the fact is they don't understand all the strange things that happen when I try to go somewhere I'm not supposed to go. I'm literally talking about pianos falling on my head out of nowhere, that kind of thing. When divine intervention happens on a regular basis, you would be oblivious and stupid to not realize something is trying to give you a sign that's it's just not meant to be. That's what I finally figured out after years of trying to bash my head into a wall repeatedly. It's just not meant for me.

I am currently following the law of attraction. It's how the most successful and wealthiest people attract opportunities into their lives. The idea is that you have to live the way you expect to be. So, if I want to volunteer for a living, that is what I am doing now.

That is my life purpose. I did not come here to work, doing things I hate doing. I came here to help people, for free.

Anyway, as you can see, it's not my decision to decide to change anything in my life. Everytime I try to, bad things happen to stop me. I am meant to be where I am now, and meant to be doing the things I long to do.

It's not puzzling once you realize I said Non profit... that means charity. You can start non profits up with no cost because they are all government funded. It's all volunteer work. Anyway, it doesn't really matter how it comes into play, because when it comes to the law of attraction, all you are supposed to do is envision what you want and believe it is coming to you. The opportunities will come, and then you can do all the work to get there, you just have to make sure to see when the opportunities are presenting themselves to you. So if that makes any sense, I don't support money, because it's evil. I want to attract a future of owning a non profit charity, thus I need to live like that in the present. Which means, I am not allowed to make a profit for anything that I do, and everything that I do will serve a greater purpose - my purpose.
    Likewise, everything I do in my life are things I am passionate about. For example the novel I recently wrote is a self help book, I gave it away for free on smashwords, one of the only things i like about the internet by the way lol, and I believe that by following out my purpose and what I beleive in my heart, that I will attract the life that I believe is destined for me.
    Granted, it may not turn out like I imagine it to be but I have a pretty firm understanding of what I am meant to do here.

Obviously, I could get the non profit charity idea started now, all I would have to do is collect a bunch of people who want in on the plan and then bring it to all the non profit organizations around town, and then get funding, etc but it's not what I've been called to do. I have been told by my spirit guides to wait....

And I hate waiting. I haven't seen any opportunities yet, but I did find a Scouts program recently, so I'm looking into volunteering for that. It seems like it would be getting me closer to my charity goals, giving me more experience closer to what my dreams are.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    thunderseed, a saying comes to mind: "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice." Changing nothing substantial in your life right now pretty much guarantees that when things hit the fan (they always do) you're going to have to decide out of desperation, not out of understanding and choice and opportunity.

Ideal or not, the developed world functions on money. Barter is essentially trading items instead of numbers on a piece of paper. But, somehow, you're going to need to ensure a future for yourself beyond welfare/disability. I'm kind of puzzled that you don't like to work but that you'd like to start a wilderness camp or resort. Unless you've got buckets of money to buy the property and maintain it and to shower on a staff that makes it all happen, you will have to work to make that happen. And the buckets of money aren't going to come unless you work for them somehow.

You mentioned in another post that you're an artist but that you don't ilke to sell your art. This is a gift: you have artistic ability and it appears you're good enough that people want to pay you for your art. But you refuse? Here's an income stream just waiting to happen. Why forgo it?

A friend of mine is a fine-art painter. Some of her work goes for thousands of dollars. Right in her studio is a plaque with "The Rules of Art" Rule #6 (or somesuch) is "Art is a job." Without a patronage system like they had back in the 18th century, few artists can just do their thing and wait for the world to find them. They have to buy food and pay for art supplies and maybe even studio space. Many artists never break through to even the degree my friend has. If this is a fairly painless way of making the money you say you want, why not pursue it?

If you don't like the business end of it, you may have to stick that out for a while until you can hire/barter with someone to do that work for you while you enter your studio and create. But many who've started their own business can relate to countless hours spent doing the back-office work so that someday their business could be big enough to let them get back to what they liked to do best. Part of the territory.

I think you also need to reflect and decide whether your discomfort about an uncertain future outweighs your discomfort at working somewhere anywhere. I also think it would be helpful to find a trusted friend -- or, better, a therapist -- with whom you could discuss your feelings of ennui and lack of interest in life events in which you haven't even participated. As others have mentioned, this very well could be depression -- all of it -- and identifying it, addressing it metabolically if necessary, and moving on is essential to a fulfilling life. At 27, pardon my saying so, you haven't had that fulfilling life yet.

Marie Kondo suggests putting things in places that make it the easiest to put away. When going to get something, you're motivated to get it. Where's the motivation to put it back?

thunderseed
    Quote Originally Posted by bekkilyn View Post
    Depression doesn't necessarily consist of sitting around feeling sad all the time, so it's possible you could have it and not be aware you have it since there are many other symptoms. You are also very anxious about what *might* happen in the future rather than enjoying what you have and are experiencing in the here and now. I am "guilty" of it too and it is something I am working on in my own life. All that worry can be very de-energizing.

I don't recall your mentioning your type of disability, so not sure why you would be able to do volunteer work, but not other kind of work, but if you get into a situation where you think you can work, you could try working for some of the wilderness camps that already exist, or maybe your town has a parks and recreation department that may need some help, and you could bring in a bit of income and help restore your confidence.
    Depression never consists of sitting around feeling sad all the time. Depression is a mental illness, not an emotion. It makes people feel nothing, not sadness. A depressed person would give anything to feel any emotion at all, even sadness.
    Sadness is an emotion - a perfectly normal emotion and response to things that happen in life.
    Depression is a chemical brain imbalance that causes a person to feel numb, or paralyzed. I have had depression in my past, but I have recovered from it. I am far from depressed, I work out all the time and feel lots of healthy emotions.
    I am quite self aware enough to realize that emotions are natural. Dissaray in ones life can create a whole bunch of emotions.

The reason I am miserable is because of a life situation, not a chemical brain imbalance. Sometimes I use the word depressed to mean sadness, like most people do, but in actuality depression is a mental illness not actually sadness.

thunderseed
    Quote Originally Posted by pony mom View Post
    Marie Kondo suggests putting things in places that make it the easiest to put away. When going to get something, you're motivated to get it. Where's the motivation to put it back?
    Hmmm, interesting thought. I mean, it's already pretty easy to put them away, but maybe I can make the place where the item belongs a lot funner so that I will want to put it back lol. I'm going to look up some cool fun storage ideas!

I didn't come here to work, either. I guess no one explained that part to me.

It seems sad to me that so few of us find our "right livelihood." It seems like doing so should be part of a wide-ranging education.

thunderseed
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I didn't come here to work, either. I guess no one explained that part to me.

It seems sad to me that so few of us find our "right livelihood." It seems like doing so should be part of a wide-ranging education.
    I am hearing more and more of people who are finding their callings and people who are teaching their kids to strive for their dreams.

Thread Information