Thread: SHARE your favorite garden harvest recipe to preserve that flavor for winter eating

SHARE your favorite garden harvest recipe to preserve that flavor for winter eating

HANDS DOWN.... mine is this:

http://www.salon.com/2010/08/07/rata...s_grade_style/

Every year I try to get enough into my freezer to have at least 1 quart per week till the next year.

My first pot of the season has just started (I make 10q at a time-a triple batch). I do have to go purchase red peppers but I'm OK with that.

My neighbors shall be waking in a few hours (it is 0600-yes I've been up 2.5h already) to the fabulous smell of garlic.

Can there BE too much garlic? NO

Really? None?

I was not able to have my own garden this year or a garden plot at a community garden.

My intention is to forage some apples and pears from around the city -- in parks and just by the roadside when I see them. Then I will make cobbler!

I love cobbler!!!!! I make it without any traditional sugar, just maple syrup. This is probably my favorite fall food.

Obviously this is not from "my" garden, but from Nature's Garden.

I am sure I have told everyone this but, not sure if I have got it to everyone how easy and fast this method of freezing is.
    Last year I GRATED Zucchini, carrots, cleric root, onions and froze in the snack size bags....no blanching needed but only good
    in soups, stews, and under a roast in the oven......type of dishes and of some are great in breads.
    Quick way to get some things in the freezer and were so handy in the dead of winter also, made it easier to get a meal on the table quick.

UltraliteAnger

I tried last winter putting one of my many frozen bananas chopped up in a crisp/cobbler with the other fruit and you could
    not tell it was there....it made it sweeter naturally and bulked up the other fruits....yummy

Gazpacho (as a treat, lightened with clam juice)

Ratatouille (great leftovers--you can heat up with rice, or add to omelets)
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

When I freeze onions, leeks, garlic etc, the smell in the freezer is overwhelming. How do you prevent this odour issue?

Chutney---from peppers, onions and fruit from the backyard! Such a winter treat on poultry, pork, beef. (apologies to any veggies out there)
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    When I freeze onions, leeks, garlic etc, the smell in the freezer is overwhelming. How do you prevent this odour issue?
    How are you packaging them? Try this - place them in small snack-size zip-lock bags (an amount that is easy to use). Press out as much air as possible and seal the bags. Fill a quart canning jar with the baggies of onions/leeks/garlic and add the lid and ring. The air-tight lid on the tempered glass container will eliminate the odor. I place glass canning jars in a sturdy plastic basket in the freezer and slide cardboard between the jars to prevent them from breaking. Yes, canning jars are great in the freezer --- UNTIL you break one.

If you are ever motivated to dehydrate them, you have to set your dehydrator out in a garage/porch/shed or the entire house will smell like onion. I even have a little challenge when I dehydrate kale.

Thread Information