Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It seemed like a good idea at the time...

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    About 25 years ago, I sold my shares in a company called Microsoft to buy shares in various firms I can't even remember. I thought the real money would be in improved hardware.
    Yikes! I feel for ya on that one.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Putting my travel mug in the dishwasher today instead of washing it by hand. It seemed like a good idea at the time. Now I need a new travel mug. There was a reason it said "Hand Wash Only" on the bottom of it. Doh!
    The brain is wider than the sky. -- Emily Dickinson

When they die, I think I'll have that on my headstone. "It seemed like a good idea at the time." I'm having a period where it seems to me if I could get through a single day without implementing one "good idea" that turns into a mess, it would be a small miracle.

Nine weeks
    ago, my husband, let's call him John Smith, asked me to open a Charles Schwab checking account for its overseas ATM privileges. It sounded, if not like a good idea, at least like an innocuous idea, the online process took about ten minutes. It turned out I could only open a single account and had to fill out a form to add him on.

In the past two plus months I have filled out and mailed this fifteen page form three times, made no less than twelve phone calls about it, and finally made a trip to the branch office to do it in person. Yesterday I received a letter. "We have successfully added John P Smitee JT Ten to your account."

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    About 25 years ago, I sold my shares in a company called Microsoft to buy shares in various firms I can't even remember. I thought the real money would be in improved hardware.
    Me too. I sold some tech and bought Sears because they sold Craftsman hand tools.
    "Back when I was a young boy all my aunts and uncles would poke me in the ribs at weddings saying your next! Your next! They stopped doing all that crap when I started doing it to them... at funerals!"

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Yikes! I feel for ya on that one.
    And that's not even the stupidest thing I've ever done. It's just the stupidest thing I'll admit to.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    Me too. I sold some tech and bought Sears because they sold Craftsman hand tools.
    At least if I'd invested in some hand tools, I'd have something to show for it today. And I'd have something to hit myself with.

Dumb...I didn't get on the phone and book a hotel when our plane was delayed six hours. Ended up driving around Denver at 2am looking for a place to stay and thought we were going to have to sleep in the car.

it seemed like a good idea to

buy a mandoline slicer.

go to a free training work offered anyone who was interested (was voluntary). Well it turns out it lasts for several days we pay for hotel and meals and are responsible for transportation .... What a deal, huh?
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by kally View Post
    buy a mandoline slicer.
    It definitely sounds like there is more to this than there appears to be. I do hope there were no serious injuries!

Thread Information