Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It seemed like a good idea at the time...

It seemed like a good idea at the time...

Here's a thread to post mistakes that we consciously made because hey, it seemed like a good idea at the time. Learn from us!

Here's mine for the day, and I apologize that it will be too specific to be useful for those here but maybe a lurker will find value in it: A few years ago I was testing orange iris. I wanted to identify the best oranges and to compare their color, viability, and bloom time. So I thought it would be a good idea to plant them all in a row, next to each other. I carefully labelled each one. Yeah, that lasted all of one garden season and the next year when the shitty children across the street devastated by marking system, all of the tags were pulled out of the ground and scattered everywhere. Now I don't know which orange is which. I may have been able to identify them it I had scattered the orange iris all around the yard because the tags would have been in the general vicinity.

your turn...

Bought a car (any/every car).
    Bought a house (two specific ones).
    Got married (specific person).

But it's all worked itself out and learning experiences are good.

iris:

"It seemed like a good idea at time time..." is how I would describe so many things in my lifetime. haha

But...

I would say moving in with two housemates I did not know seemed like a good idea at the time. Then it became a stressful pain in the but as their cat peed all over everything, they stiffed me on the gas bill, they moved the litter box into the kitchen (under the kitchen table), one of them got two venomous tarantulas, they never cleaned or mowed the lawn, they left dirty socks all over the living room floor, they would not take their laundry out of the washer or dryer, and then they acted totally bewildered when I was like: "I am not happy and I am moving out!" after less than two months!

Where do I begin?
    • Joining a buying club (and then never using it)
    • Buying a house before selling the first (in 2008)
    • Accepting hand-me downs from a neighbor for my oldest son (who then got made fun of the next day at school by the boy whose clothes they originally were--earning me Bad Mother of the Year Award)
    • Bringing 7 people and a dog to Florida for Christmas because DS couldn't get off work to come up North (expensive, uncomfortable, dog hated it, 2 people quarantined due to illness, DH crashed Sunfish offshore…an overall DISASTER)
    • Buying a conversion van (Bad idea on its own, but REALLY bad idea to buy it as our ONLY car)

Those are just the few that come to the top of my mind.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

not moving nearer to work just because i hated the job. well I still hate the job, but i just get to hate the commute as well.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Where do I begin?
    • Joining a buying club (and then never using it)
    • Buying a house before selling the first (in 2008)
    • Accepting hand-me downs from a neighbor for my oldest son (who then got made fun of the next day at school by the boy whose clothes they originally were--earning me Bad Mother of the Year Award)
    • Bringing 7 people and a dog to Florida for Christmas because DS couldn't get off work to come up North (expensive, uncomfortable, dog hated it, 2 people quarantined due to illness, DH crashed Sunfish offshore…an overall DISASTER)
    • Buying a conversion van (Bad idea on its own, but REALLY bad idea to buy it as our ONLY car)

Those are just the few that come to the top of my mind.
    While your lyrics are different, you're still singing my song! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kestra View Post
    Got married (specific person).
    Yup, that one's on my list... Add

- buying a house in 2005 just before the bottom fell out of the market;
    - trying to teach my mom how to use a computer (a Mac, at that);
    - (uhh, I'm sure there's more. Lemme think.)
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Yup, that one's on my list... Add

- buying a house in 2005 just before the bottom fell out of the market;
    - trying to teach my mom how to use a computer (a Mac, at that);
    - (uhh, I'm sure there's more. Lemme think.)
    Amy Schumer has a hilarious piece about helping her mother use a computer. It makes me scream laugh because the mom makes the same errors I make and uses the same excuses: Just because I knew it yesterday doesn't mean I know it today, ya know? haha.

About 25 years ago, I sold my shares in a company called Microsoft to buy shares in various firms I can't even remember. I thought the real money would be in improved hardware.

I bought a condo and not a house in a depressed area where I didn't know the market. Compared to where I was coming from , the prices looked awesome, but for the area they were highly inflated. I should have backed out when my first choice for a bank had a lower valuation than the selling price (these were new) and I went with the bank handling the construction loan. Now even 25+ years later, the resale prices for these are still lower than what we paid. We wound up selling for less than 60% of what we put in. Ouch.

Thread Information