Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Coffee Table Clutter

we have a leather ottoman but it is as long as the couch so it is our coffee table. I am minimalist with decor, I put out a few knick knacks just so it looks like people live here. In my house, the only thing on the ottoman was a game we were playing, kid feet and a dog or two. Now it has tons of magazines that my dad reads and leaves for my mom, same with daily paper. Well, that would be fine except she is extremely ill, the most she ever reads is part of a newspaper and not every day. So the pile gets bigger, the dogs jump up on it, everything goes everywhere. I recycle the pile when no one is looking. A wooden tray with sides works well for serving food

My coffee table is a wooden trunk, a kit from Yield House I got many years ago, that I assembled, stained and finished. At the moment, my legs and my laptop are on it. It holds my riding clothes, neatly folded a la The Kondo Method. My knees always have bruises on them because I keep the chest close to the couch, putting it in the way when I walk out from behind it.

I also have a small end table next to my loveseat, much more cluttered. A framed photo, a small lamp, coasters, a pen, extra reading glasses on the top. On one shelf, a small box that holds my mouse and headphones, leaving room for two remotes and a small accordian folder (got tired of floating bits of paper so they're filed away in here now).

Bottom shelf holds my laptop, which I now always put in its case. I'm telling you, Marie Kondo has really changed my life. Things now get put away immediately instead of being piled up til later, my surfaces aren't cluttered (except the end table), my closet and drawers are neater and I love everything.

If I ever get a couch again, I think rather then a coffee table, I would like an ottoman. The ones I grew up with had internal storage, were small enough to not collect stuff, and you could put your feet or a plate on. (coffee tables we got in trouble for putting up our feet)

I do have an old trunk though, inherited and I haven't gone through it in a long time. What it has is a lot of the old family history (photo's and such). I know 90% of it, no one in the family was interested in (I was due to it being the normal side of the family, rather then the side I learned too much about).
    This brings up something I should post about.

Thread Information