Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coffee Table Clutter

Glass and wood table inherited from my mother. Nothing on it but an occasional Siamese cat and their hair.

The coffee table has one shelf and two drawers under the table top. On top, a square tray which contains a small plant and a few coasters. In the drawers, a few magazines that we are reading currently. (TV remote is in the armoire with the TV.)
    Last edited by Radicchio; 8-20-15 at 1:16pm.

Pinkytoe, Nothing accents a coffee table better than a cat! I also love walking up to a house and seeing a cat in the window.

rodeosweetheart
    Coffee table is kept bare, which invites occasional feet, terrier, or Scrabble board to perch there.

Geila
    Living room: rectangular mission-style table with potted ficus, round basket for books, measuring tape, pens, pencils, calculator, etc. This table gets lots of use by feet being rested while we lounge on the sofa and as a racetrack by the cavorting dogs. The kittens enjoy resting on the bottom shelf and watching the dogs race by.

TV room: large ottoman, used for resting feet, lounging dogs, dog toys, cat-napping, dog-napping, and a platform for modified dog wrestling (boxer keeps back legs on floor and can "box" the poodle mix as he stands on the ottoman).

We use an old steamer trunk as well. Since the couch is DH's territory, I don't totally try to "pretty up" what is on the trunk, just a little bit. There's a tray and some books and some little ornamental boxes. There's a round metal thing that looks vaguely apple-like where I stash DH's flotsam and jetsam.

Handmade old wooden trunk with feet -- looks a bit like a family heirloom and is but not our family's. (A former tenant gave it to us.) On the surface usually a newspaper and/or a book. Sometimes a basset hound -- she likes to sit there. We have another small wooden trunk made by my father at the corner between couch and loveseat -- that one tends to have a book, a basket with my current knitting or other craft project and a coffee cup.

Iris Lily, I've seen people put a tray on a coffee table surface for the miscellaneous stuff you describe. Maybe that would work for your wavy wicker surface? A tray of the right size would give you a non-wavy surface and could easily be picked up and put elsewhere when you have guests. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary B. View Post
    Handmade old wooden trunk with feet -- looks a bit like a family heirloom and is but not our family's. (A former tenant gave it to us.) On the surface usually a newspaper and/or a book. Sometimes a basset hound -- she likes to sit there. We have another small wooden trunk made by my father at the corner between couch and loveseat -- that one tends to have a book, a basket with my current knitting or other craft project and a coffee cup.

Iris Lily, I've seen people put a tray on a coffee table surface for the miscellaneous stuff you describe. Maybe that would work for your wavy wicker surface? A tray of the right size would give you a non-wavy surface and could easily be picked up and put elsewhere when you have guests. Just a thought.
    That is an excellent idea! I will havebtomthinkmabout that one. Thank you!

IL: i keep a pretty basket on my end table that holds all the stuff you mentioned. It looks neat & I can reach everything from my chair. On my coffee table I have a nice linen with 1 decorative bowl & a few coasters.

Southwestern wooden chest with hinged lids, it's big, maybe 3*4, and sits in the corner between the chair and couch. Very distressed finish. It's as tall as an end table, so convenient for setting coffee cups etc. Throw blankets for winter and guest linens are inside it along with surge protector strip so I can plug in devices while I'm sitting on the couch. Cats have their own fish tank for a water dish, that's the only permanent thing on top. The furniture reclines, so a coffee table would be in the way.

It hinges in the middle and has two lids, so I can get into it without removing what's on top, very convenient. I also have an African basket for the miscellanea, sits either beside the chest or inside it.

Thread Information