Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selling car to risky kid.

Selling car to risky kid.

I need to know if I am being logical. A friend who I see often wants to buy my car for her 20 year old son. Said son got into a huge wreck recently and now they are buying him another car. It was his fault---going way too fast, with a passenger. They could have died. I don't want to sell him my car because...A. It just feels wrong, knowing what I know B.) I have to see him often in my sweet little car C.) If it breaks down and I have sold it to them, I will feel guilty. I am doing everything I can to drum up business so I don't have to sell it to them, but am I just being greedy? The whole things just feels uncomfortable.

My thought is go with your gut.

I agree with going with your gut. I never liked selling a car to anyone I knew or anyone I saw regularily. Did not want to hear about problems of any kind.

Just went through this with selling my 1/2 ton. A good friend wanted to buy it for her rather irresponsible DGS. I told her upfront that my late DH and I had a policy of never buying, selling, loaning or borrowing from a friend as the friendship was too important to risk.

She did ask my price and tried getting it down a little. I just left it at the price that I stated as it was a fair price. She had to be away for a few weeks and in that time, I had an acquaintance come by who was persuaded to sell it for me on Kijiji online which he did in 2 days. I paid him for his time and he did earn every penny with all the phone calls, driving it to the mechanic for safety checking etc. I didn't have to deal with strangers on the phone or coming to my home or haggling over the merits or demerits of the vehicle or price , he did; and sold it for $300 more than I had settled upon. I took off for a mini vacation while this selling was going on and we stayed in touch via cellphone.
    When my friend came back and I told her near the end of our catching up conversation on the phone that a friend had sold my truck for me online and the amount I received, she was quite subdued. I have no regrets about how I handled this.

Go with your gut as others have said and find another way if you need to dispose of the little car.

I'd avoid selling to someone I know.
    Bought a car off of a co-worker and she resented it since the day we signed for it. Ruined our friendship. She was going through a divorce and wanted only what she owed so that's what I paid...then she found out she could of sold it for $6,000 more. She hated me for "stealing it from her".
    Sold a truck to another friend because she needed something good and dependable and her sisters drunk abusive boyfriend totaled it a week later.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Thanks, everyone. I am glad to know my gut is correct. I think I made the mistake of not saying I was uncomfortable up front OR even having a philosophy in place. Well, now I know. I might just tell my friend I am super uncomfortable selling it to her son and just be honest.....or hope someone offers soon. I appreciate your personal stories.

WE bought a car from really good friends when the wife got Alzheimer's & could not drive. HOwever, to be fair we looked up the blue book price & went half way between the excellent & good price. It was a win-win for everyone. However, in your situation I would not do it. I see how things could go wrong quickly.

Interestingly, there's a lot of research being done on the gut-brain connection, neuropeptides, and the microbiome. So the advice "follow your gut" will likely be found to have a solid foundation in science.

Follow your instinct.

My Mom always said to follow your intuition. She said that whenever she ignored the inner voice she was sorry later & I find the same to be true.

Thread Information