Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wedding Rings

Wedding Rings

If you're married or in a permanent partnership, do you wear a ring? I just read someone's comment that they & spouse have rings but don't like to wear them. DH and I are much the same, we have matching ornate gold bands but it's catch as catch can. Sort of an inside joke; we have different last names, so if one of us puts on our ring when we go out and the other doesn't, it looks sort of illicit. We'll ask, "are you married?" and hold up our hands.

Yes, I wear my ring. It's pretty simple--it's one of those rings that looks like a puzzle: 3 very slender rings intertwined. I never take it off. There was a period of time when I did take it off--a very passive-aggressive statement on how I felt about our marriage, but we weathered that storm and I've worn it every day ever since.

DH lost his. (Hope he's not making a statement!)
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

rodeosweetheart
    We wear ours--he is on number 3 I think, and sometimes I take mine off when my arthritis is flaring and my hands swell.
    If I get really mad, I'll take it off and see how that feels for a while.
    IO'd like to add a stone to mine, which I had designed--it's a nice gold band with celtic oak engraving. He lost his, so he's on a Celtic silver one now.
    They are a nice width and white gold.

Wore one for over 20 years then started having some hives (allergy issues) that caused my hands to swell unexpectedly. Have not worn a ring since and it has been 20 years. Saw no difference either way.

during gardening season I wear a simple gold band with tiny diamonds. Its a vintage ring I bought last year. In the winter I will pull out my engagement ring and/ or my antique family ring to wear.

DH doesn't wear his due to safety in operating machines.

I jammed my ring finger playing a pick-up game of basketball with my son and husband (et al) at the YMCA years ago. I haven't been able to wear my engagement/wedding ring set since I had the rings cut off my finger, even after I had them repaired. My finger was much larger after that and the ring couldn't be made larger. I can wear my 25th Anniversary band, but I rarely do.

I just really don't care for jewelry these days. I'm always working with my hands (garden, kitchen, knitting, crocheting, typing).... and don't like rings getting in the way. I lost the diamond out of my engagement ring once and found it in the carpet shortly after I discovered it was missing and had it repaired. So you see, I'm pretty hard on my rings.

Three years ago I had the diamonds removed from my engagement ring, and from my deceased mother's ring, and had them put into a pendent for a nice necklace for our daughter's 40th birthday. I gave my only granddaughter my grandmother's engagement ring for her 18th birthday. Then I let her take her pick of anything that was left and sold the gold/silver pieces for cash and purchased some solar panels with them.

DH has always worn his but on his right hand due to glassblowing and other equipment. I started out with mine on my right but after knocking the setting off 3 times I moved it to my left so it stacks with my anniversary band. Honestly, I'd get rid of the diamond engagement ring and anniversary band if DH wouldn't get so upset about it.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Back when I was married I wore mine all the time - a pretty simple band, no engagement ring. Ex-DH didn't wear his - safety was definitely a concern, but I don't think he really liked to wear it anyhow. (Not a comment on the relationship, just not a jewelry person.)

I still have my ring and I'm wondering what to do with it. It took me a long time to pick out that ring and I really like it, just as a ring. Separation is too fresh to wear it on my right hand. Would it be weird to wear the same ring in another relationship/marriage? I kind of want to do that, but not if the guy thought that wasn't right. I just like that ring a lot.

An ancillary question: do you NOTICE when other people don't wear theirs? I never do, but some people always are the first to say, "So Janet's engaged! Didn't you notice the ring?" No, I never notice.

During the time I was not wearing my ring, I got gas on the way to work. Here in NJ many gas stations are owned and operated by Middle Eastern people. I must have mentioned something random to the gas attendant (here in NJ we also have gas attendants) about "my husband" because he chided me, telling me that if I'm married, I should be wearing a ring. That was a first.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kestra View Post

I still have my ring and I'm wondering what to do with it. It took me a long time to pick out that ring and I really like it, just as a ring. Separation is too fresh to wear it on my right hand. Would it be weird to wear the same ring in another relationship/marriage? I kind of want to do that, but not if the guy thought that wasn't right. I just like that ring a lot.
    A friend when divorced gave the engagement ring back to her ex. He then used it as an engagement ring for his next wife...without telling her it was his ex's. She learned from the children who wanted to know why she was wearing their mom's ring. Very awkward and wife #2 felt like a replacement and not special. Really hurt her feelings.

Is it the setting you like or the stone itself? Having a ring made into a pendant or replacing the stones with something different or changing the setting and adding stones so it's completely different might be a thought. But I wouldn't wear it to represent two different marriages.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Thread Information