Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: People approaching you at gas stations

Quote Originally Posted by frugalone View Post
    I would really love it if we had attendants. They are far and few between here in Pa.
    I think the last time I saw a full service gas station was in the early 90s in northern Michigan. In the Chicago area, the only folks who are assisted are disabled folks.

Williamsmith
    So you are being approached at the gas pump by criminals. Gasoline anyone?

Well, I've never been approached at a gas station...except by someone who, you know, wanted directions and thought maybe, since I was gassing up there not 5 feet away from them they'd just ask. You know, come to think of it, I might have asked folks for directions at gas stations myself. Thank goodness I'm still alive!
    Once there was this lady who approached me cause she couldn't figure out how to use the pump. I should have shot her on sight but silly me, I didn't have my simi-automatic on me at the time.
    She WAS totally asking for it though!

Peggy, Peggy, Peggy...

There's a lot of panhandling in Tucson. Gas stations are a "good" place for panhandlers because you're a marginally captive audience; if you're pumping gas you can't just keep walking, there's a process to go through before you can leave. You've also got your wallet out, most likely. One of the stations with the best prices right at the edge of town has what amounts to a little tent city on the premises, I've started avoiding it because I don't like the vibe at all.

I have allocated $5 a week to panhandlers - let the universe sort out who deserves what, I say, although I don't give to people who appear to have taken panhandling as their day job. When my $5 is gone, I feel fine about simply saying no.

Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post
    There's a lot of panhandling in Tucson. Gas stations are a "good" place for panhandlers because you're a marginally captive audience; if you're pumping gas you can't just keep walking, there's a process to go through before you can leave. You've also got your wallet out, most likely.
    yea but it would seem to me a bad place to panhandle as most people pay by swiping cards, so they may have very little cash on them, probably why the grocery store is a more popular target. I pay cash and get my change, so I am a good panhandling target I suppose. It isn't a very safe place to use a card on the other hand IMO, lots of hacking.

One of the stations with the best prices right at the edge of town has what amounts to a little tent city on the premises, I've started avoiding it because I don't like the vibe at all.
    there's mini tent cities now everywhere it seems (under every bridge), but the homeless are as a rule not dangerous. If you told me 10% of the population was homeless I'd almost believe it. Of course I doubt the real figures are that high, but they are visible.

I have allocated $5 a week to panhandlers - let the universe sort out who deserves what, I say
    makes sense
    Trees don't grow on money

There is a reasonable convenience store at that gas station and I think a lot of out of town people do use cash to go in and buy snacks. I don't think the tent city folks are dangerous, they seem to have a happy little community going, people and their dogs sitting on the "lawn" area playing chess and chatting. Hell, if your life is out on the streets, at least have some company. But it is a place where you will definitely be approached and observed by a group of people, not particularly comfortable.

What I love (not) is the current method of asking for money.

"Excuse me! excuse me!" they shout at me from 15 feet away.

I look up, wonder what's up, and they start babbling about something or other and I can't understand them.

When this trick first started I would make an accommodating face, expecting them to come closer and to make it clear what they wanted in case they were, you know, like peggy's folks, asking for something reasonable like directions.

But nope, they just wanted money, each and every time. This happens in front of my house, on the sidewalk by work, at the gas station, over at my garden when I'm working there, etc.

So now when anyone shouts "Excuse me! excuse me!" I just ignore the screeching. And I suspect that they don't come closer to me because someone may have once pulled a gun on them for getting too close, and I am grateful for that.
    Last edited by iris lily; 8-28-15 at 12:47am.

that's must be awful

I am just sad that often when I am approached, it is someone who appears to be on the surface nice and making a friendly comment about the day or whatever. Then when I make eye contact, they immediately switch to a request for money. One guy had a whole routine worked out.

Happens often enough that those who are truly friendly or just being nice get lost in the mess.

Edited to say: Forgot to mention that I reported the guy with the routine to store management since he was in a store and approaching customers. Noted they were right on it. It was an older teenager or young man.
    Last edited by sweetana3; 8-28-15 at 8:47am.

Thread Information