Thread: Hostels

Hostels

Has anyone here ever stayed in a hostel in England or France? I'm 51 and planning to visit both places sometime in the next two-three years. I heard about a women-only one in London, but I'm wondering if hostels are very youth-oriented.

I read online to stay away from ones that have their own bar (!), and that you can find ratings as to how "party-ish" they are.

Just curious to hear some real-life stories.

I haven't stayed in many, DH and I tried one in Florence and it was definitely a party scene - yes, bar and outstanding pizzeria in the courtyard. We had a private room with our own incredibly small bathroom, a triangle in one corner of the room only as wide as the door. It was much, much cheaper than any hotel in town, though. I was ok with it because I sleep with earplugs, DH hated it and said it was loud all night long. The few I've tried on my own - US, NZ and Australia - have all been quiet and acceptable, but definitely youth-oriented. I always feel like something of an outsider, but have had no problems beyond not "fitting in", which isn't what I look for in a cheap place to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by frugalone View Post
    Has anyone here ever stayed in a hostel in England or France? I'm 51 and planning to visit both places sometime in the next two-three years. I heard about a women-only one in London, but I'm wondering if hostels are very youth-oriented.

I read online to stay away from ones that have their own bar (!), and that you can find ratings as to how "party-ish" they are.

Just curious to hear some real-life stories.
    i would skip that and go up one step to simple Bed and Breakfast rooms. Keep in mind that B&B inns are not the high-end places there that they are here. Even in my poor student days when I tramped around the U.K. I stayed in Bed and Breakfasts. They vary a lot in price, much like Airbnb rooms here.

You may find www.servas.org interesting. It allows you to stay with local hosts for 2 nights.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    i would skip that and go up one step to simple Bed and Breakfast rooms. Keep in mind that B&B inns are not the high-end places there that they are here. Even in my poor student days when I tramped around the U.K. I stayed in Bed and Breakfasts. They vary a lot in price, much like Airbnb rooms here.
    +1

Plus you get great breakfasts, which you don't get in hostels.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information