Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Panniers vs. metal basket?

Let me ask if your bike has fenders?
    A basket won't help against the rain, and no fenders mean puddles could be a problem as well. That said, I don't think panniers are the only solution. (I like the removable milk crate, as you can take it with you for security, or when you need it). I also think a front basket still could serve a purpose, just as well as ones back (backpack).

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Let me ask if your bike has fenders?
    A basket won't help against the rain, and no fenders mean puddles could be a problem as well. That said, I don't think panniers are the only solution. (I like the removable milk crate, as you can take it with you for security, or when you need it). I also think a front basket still could serve a purpose, just as well as ones back (backpack).
    Fenders?

Yes, fenders! Those metal strips that are on some bikes, above the tires, and not on other bikes, like most mountain bikes (that is what they are called). They help prevent water spray from puddles (low spots), from shooting up at the rider and their baskets, which tend to be open mesh.

I am thrilled with a couple of panniers made from tough recycled materials I bought from REI. They have several choices. Look into it! You can carry quite a lot of stuff in them. Bicyclist

I vote panniers of the type that hang from a standard rear bike rack, hands down. They keep the center of gravity low, generally have some side pockets for keeping bike gear separate from the main compartments, and usually have some compression straps to cinch up the panniers and keep them from flopping around with a small load or keep things like produce from bouncing around. I can get a decent amount of groceries into them, but even in good summer weather still have to do a grocery run with the car for bulky items or a big restock.

Most people in Israel had big ol' plastic milk crates fastened to their rear bike rack, and a basket off the front handlebars if the design allowed. I did the same thing to my bike, and it was great! Not aerodynamic, of course, but I was in a town and speed/distance weren't really issues. Incredibly practical, no one stole them, and carried a LOT of food and other stuff. We got along like that without a car for over a year.

Thread Information