Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Panniers vs. metal basket?

Panniers vs. metal basket?

I am biking a lot this month, anything less than 4 miles. So I am going to the grocery and whatnot on my bike.

I was wondering what you bikers think about panniers vs. a metal basket on a rack above my rear wheel.

Any thoughts or insights are welcome!

If biking I only buy two bags of stuff or less. Then I hang one nah around each handle bar and go home. Simple. I know steering g is affected by the weight up front - but I go slow on the sidewalks with that set up. It's fun. I don't value speed nor sharing streets with cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    If biking I only buy two bags of stuff or less. Then I hang one nah around each handle bar and go home. Simple. I know steering g is affected by the weight up front - but I go slow on the sidewalks with that set up. It's fun. I don't value speed nor sharing streets with cars.
    I did that yesterday with the stuff I bought at the bike shop (kickstand and rack for basket/panniers) and it was a bit too wonky a ride for me.

I've got metal baskets at the moment - two that hang off the edges of the rear rack so I can put something on the rack as well. they fold flat when not in use. Received them as a gift. They're ok and inexpensive but seem heavy and rattle a bit. This bike is already so heavy, with two full baskets I almost tipped the bike after stopping. I think I preferred panniers, having bags that close up is more practical to me. What I really want is a pannier system with a bit of a rack system for super super easy removal so I can actually use the pannier as a shopping bag.

If I were doing it over again and wanted baskets I might try these:

http://www.amazon.com/Bushwhacker-Om...sket+rear+rack

mine:

http://www.amazon.com/Wald-Folding-Bicycle-Basket-12-75/dp/B0012DZEBY/ref=sr_1_1_m?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1441207329&sr=1-1&keywords=bike+basket+rear+rack

Good to know. Thanks!

I used panniers so the entire space on top of the bike rack was free to attach/bungy cord anything else on top I needed to.
    Everything from sleeping bags, tents, chair, etc.
    Attach a milk crate on top and you have a 3rd basket.

in the end it was all about finding the easiest way to keep everything dry when I got stuck in the rain or from muddy puddles after it rained.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhiana View Post
    I used panniers so the entire space on top of the bike rack was free to attach/bungy cord anything else on top I needed to.
    Everything from sleeping bags, tents, chair, etc.
    Attach a milk crate on top and you have a 3rd basket.

in the end it was all about finding the easiest way to keep everything dry when I got stuck in the rain or from muddy puddles after it rained.
    Excellent point about the "bonus basket" if I go the panniers route!

or these, if I was sure i could justify the cost

http://www.amazon.com/Jandd-Grocery-.../dp/B003UWIIIQ

After eight years of being carfree with kids, and still using the bicycle for most things after buying a car when the kids hit middle school, I have to say that I really like my metal baskets. I have a big front basket, and I have the WALD folding basket referenced by kib above. I like being able to drop my backpack in the basket, and then I can pull my shopping bag out of the backpack, and put that, full of groceries in the basket and wear the backpack if need be.

Of course I have way too much other bike stuff. We have two Xtracycle equipped bikes, though my wife does not use hers any more. I use that one often if I'm buying fifty pound bags of dog food, chicken feed, etc, and sometimes for family groceries. I also have a bicycle Revolution trailer. That holds a lot for a family.

But I think if I was just starting out and not shopping for four, I would go with two of the WALD folding baskets on the back, with cheap small bungie nets to keep things from jumping out.

Quote Originally Posted by pcooley View Post
    After eight years of being carfree with kids, and still using the bicycle for most things after buying a car when the kids hit middle school, I have to say that I really like my metal baskets. I have a big front basket, and I have the WALD folding basket referenced by kib above. I like being able to drop my backpack in the basket, and then I can pull my shopping bag out of the backpack, and put that, full of groceries in the basket and wear the backpack if need be.

Of course I have way too much other bike stuff. We have two Xtracycle equipped bikes, though my wife does not use hers any more. I use that one often if I'm buying fifty pound bags of dog food, chicken feed, etc, and sometimes for family groceries. I also have a bicycle Revolution trailer. That holds a lot for a family.

But I think if I was just starting out and not shopping for four, I would go with two of the WALD folding baskets on the back, with cheap small bungie nets to keep things from jumping out.
    What if you were just starting out and shopping for one and a half?

Thread Information