Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: $2.00 a Day; Living on Almost Nothing in America

Now I'm going to have to go buy a package of "in a cup" noodles and look at the label. Deep-fried, yowza.

The ones we have seem to be boring old non-fried pasta. And I know when I make them by hand, I don't fry them :-)

I guess I was never poor after reading this entire thread. I also know that I had no knowledge of "how to" do most things I can do now "if" I had too to survive. I can say I learned the "if I had too" things from the last 10 years of reading everything I can pertaining to the subject.

One criticism I have heard of this book is that it only counts cash income, and excludes the value of things like SNAP, Section 8 housing, and food stamps.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworst...-less-is-zero/

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Well, I'm not sure "survival experience" is the most essential component. I suspect the event will primarily require mental/emotional skills :-)
    Sorry if this has already been asked & answered, but what is the goal of the experiment?

I spent the first 7 years of my life on a small farm in a very remote village without electricity, running water (though our small village did have the good sense to establish itself by a river), no medical of any kind, no church, no school, no cars, etc. Basically a handful of families farming their own little plot of land and surviving on what could be had by hunting, fishing, natural vegetation, farming etc. We did have some cattle, pigs, chickens, horses, and a town a couple of days-worth of travel away.

I'm wondering what kind of experience you are interested in having, or hoping to achieve.

Thread Information