Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Skills to Learn List

Skills to Learn List

Here I go again with my list making....
    What skills or abilities do you think everyone should work on learning, in preparation for "The Big One" (whatever that is). Better to have at least a rudimentary skill level in as many things as possible, before it happens! Suppose you lost your house and everything in it, including your car, your ID, your emergency stash, and all the banks were shut down. All you have is the clothes on your back. This will be a long-term situation, lasting from several weeks to a year or more. What skills/knowledge would be it be nice to have? I'll start off the list:

1) Ability to walk long distances
    2) Edible plants available in area (whether city or country)

3) Ability to create fire from scratch.
    4) Abiilty to procure potable drinking water

rodeosweetheart
    Ability to assess others for injuries/illness and help them.

Quote Originally Posted by Packratona! View Post
    Here I go again with my list making....
    What skills or abilities do you think everyone should work on learning, in preparation for "The Big One" (whatever that is). Better to have at least a rudimentary skill level in as many things as possible, before it happens! Suppose you lost your house and everything in it, including your car, your ID, your emergency stash, and all the banks were shut down. All you have is the clothes on your back. This will be a long-term situation, lasting from several weeks to a year or more. What skills/knowledge would be it be nice to have? I'll start off the list:

1) Ability to walk long distances
    2) Edible plants available in area (whether city or country)
    Whoa! What a tough situation to be in! And what a tough question.

I suppose I'd want to have the kind of social skills/circle that I could rely on.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    Whoa! What a tough situation to be in! And what a tough question.

I suppose I'd want to have the kind of social skills/circle that I could rely on.
    Perfect answer! Why it's good to know your neighbors (as MMM says in his latest). BTW Thanks for the idea for this latest thread I started...kind of going off topic in the other one ha-ha.
    One reason to acquire skills, is so you can help your social circle to survive and thrive. Who wouldn't want a friend like that? Hmm lots of food for thought here.

My social circle is rather oblivious to "The Big One" or even moderately-sized ones. I only have one friend interested in disaster preparedness and he just dabbles here and there.

Cleaning fish. I learned how to clean and catch crabs in my early teens, so easy! But I let the fishermen in the family do all the fish.
    Collecting earthworms, grasshoppers for bait

Cleaning fish. I learned how to clean and catch crabs in my early teens, so easy! But I let the fishermen in the family do all the fish.
    Collecting earthworms, grasshoppers for bait
    Now you're talking my language!

I really think that a lot of preparedness is really mental. A lot of people are just so finicky and closed minded that they blanche at the thought of....oh boy an idea for another list!
    Last edited by Packratona!; 9-4-15 at 10:14am.

I really think that a lot of preparedness is really mental. A lot of people are just so finicky and close minded that they blanche at the thought of....oh boy an idea for another list!
    I think the mental skill of stoicism is important. One skill I have worked on and made serious progress with is simply doing without.

Thread Information