Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Skills to Learn List

I know how to strip certain barks to make lashings to build a temporary shelter in the woods. I should probably sharpen my farm knife.
    Having access to paper maps would be good. I know the first thing I'd try to do is make it to the family farm. Its a 5 hour drive but if we need to walk part of it, it could take 10 days or more. (moleskin and water filtration bottles - plenty of access to to ponds, rivers, lakes between point A & B)
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    i had the same thought: acceptance, meditation, ability to face one's mortality? carry on ...

But that's an end of the world situation, if one has merely lost their house, all their money, their livelihood or any means of getting it back. Then maybe the knowledge needed is how to live like a homeless person. Well there are lots of them, so I suppose one could learn how they live, what are their tips and tricks (I'm sure there ARE tips and tricks to making the best of it, but not sure I want to learn them). But homeless people do know how to be without homes or many means, can't deny that, even if it doesn't seem a very desirable lifestyle (funny how most of them choose a lifestyle on the very margins of civilization - could not get more marginalized - rather than out in the woods - not that we encounter the one's who make the latter choice much probably).
    The biography of Daniel Suelo, The Man Who Quit Money, has lots of insights into this!

- shelter location/construction
    - sanitation
    - a good supply of stories, poems, songs, conversational topics stored in-brain to help with morale of self and others

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    - shelter location/construction
    - sanitation
    - a good supply of stories, poems, songs, conversational topics stored in-brain to help with morale of self and others
    Morale is a really good point.

Since the question mentioned more long term...

Food prep and storage; What if you catch more than one fish? Find a whole tree full of ripe apples?

Quote Originally Posted by Dhiana View Post
    Since the question mentioned more long term...

Food prep and storage; What if you catch more than one fish? Find a whole tree full of ripe apples?
    Good point. I have frozen many berries and fish fillets, but that only works when you have a freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by Packratona! View Post
    Here I go again with my list making....

1) Ability to walk long distances
    2) Edible plants available in area (whether city or country)
    I'm staying out of this one because I saw this as "edible pants" three times, lol. I swear I wasn't always this stupid, it's my new brain.

and this is proof I will in no way survive the Big One unless someone kindly takes my hand and we leave behind my stock of edible pants

Medical care. When you're in serious pain, everything else, even food and shelter, starts to seem less important.

Quote Originally Posted by freshstart View Post
    I'm staying out of this one because I saw this as "edible pants" three times, lol. I swear I wasn't always this stupid, it's my new brain.

and this is proof I will in no way survive the Big One unless someone kindly takes my hand and we leave behind my stock of edible pants
    Strawberry fruit leather!

lmao

Thread Information