Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "I Dare you to" Challenge List

If I've learned one thing in life, it's never say never.

On the other hand, like Bartleby, there are plenty of things I would prefer not to do.

Other than number 1, the rest seem pretty easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestra View Post
    Other than number 1, the rest seem pretty easy.
    took the words right out of my mouth!

this comes around every few years- medicinal uses for leeches, no thanks, let me die

One I hear a lot "I would never be a vegan." Never say never.

ok many are fairly easy, but I'm with iris lilly on the roommates (in fact I wonder if this person wouldn't just be better off relocating than getting roommates! that's what they whole thing makes me wonder, really roommates, there are NO OTHER alternatives available at all? not the shady part of town? efficiency apartment with no kitchen but a microwave or a hot pad? (I did look at one of those once and briefly considered it - yea over time the no kitchen would grate but unlike roommates it didn't seem that bad) moving? etc.)
    Trees don't grow on money

I would never voluntarily bungee jump. Freefalling and then being yanked up short by a cord (hopefully) just doesn't sound like a very good idea.

Squirrels can carry a form of spongiform encephalopathy (like mad cow disease) transmissible to humans. I'd probably avoid that too.

Anyone else find their patience tried by the "I would Never" crowd? So much of it comes off to me as privileged foolishness by people who've barely had to walk a mile in their own shoes let alone anyone else's. Although ... eating mouse boiled in one's own pee, a la Michelle Rodriguez ... why not just roast it? That one might make it onto my list, erk.

Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post
    I would never voluntarily bungee jump. Freefalling and then being yanked up short by a cord (hopefully) just doesn't sound like a very good idea.

Squirrels can carry a form of spongiform encephalopathy (like mad cow disease) transmissible to humans. I'd probably avoid that too.

Anyone else find their patience tried by the "I would Never" crowd? So much of it comes off to me as privileged foolishness by people who've barely had to walk a mile in their own shoes let alone anyone else's. Although ... eating mouse boiled in one's own pee, a la Michelle Rodriguez ... why not just roast it? That one might make it onto my list, erk.
    Oh yes, I have my own list of things I will never do and bungee jumping is definitely on that.

I guess there are things that are fairly normal for large segments of the population, and if you would refuse to do them under any circumstance, you may be whiny/sheltered/overly anxious, and then there are the other things that are scary, but are unlikely to come up in most people's lives. There's no reason that most people would ever have to skydive for example.

So I try to minimize what I wouldn't do as far as the first group, but for the second group, avoidance seems fine.

I would never: get pregnant, get a tattoo (not that it would harm me, but why bother?), ride/be on a motorcycle (unless I thought I'd die if I didn't), marry for money, go on amusement park rides or any free-falling activities, among other things.

Today we went to pick up our CSA and the owner, a young biointensive agriculture/permaculture-trained farmer, looked even busier than normal. We asked him how he was and he said that they had a groundhog problem. A groundhog ate through $5000 worth of broccoli and brussel sprouts. So one of the guys who lives in the house is planning on killing it with a bow and arrow, and then the owner said they were going to eat it. So I said to DH that I wished I was more open to eating things that are killed like that.. or roadkill, and he was horrified that I even said that. So I guess he would say "I would NEVER eat roadkill or groundhogs" while I would say "I might if I could get over my initial aversion."
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Today we went to pick up our CSA and the owner, a young biointensive agriculture/permaculture-trained farmer, looked even busier than normal. We asked him how he was and he said that they had a groundhog problem. A groundhog ate through $5000 worth of broccoli and brussel sprouts. So one of the guys who lives in the house is planning on killing it with a bow and arrow, and then the owner said they were going to eat it. So I said to DH that I wished I was more open to eating things that are killed like that.. or roadkill, and he was horrified that I even said that. So I guess he would say "I would NEVER eat roadkill or groundhogs" while I would say "I might if I could get over my initial aversion."
    Trust your own aversion!

Thread Information