Thread: Credit card hacked

Credit card hacked

I have a credit card that I don't usually use, i only keep it in case of emergency (and i mean emergency). I had a problem with the said card a few weeks ago, I received a call verifying about a purchase i made online. thank goodness that they called me before they approved the payment, although the amount wasn't that much (it was around $300); I was pissed and can't believe that it happened to me. I began to wonder how did those hackers got my credit card details to think that the last time i used my card was 3 or 4 months ago when my TV broke and had to buy a new one. Do you think the terminal at the store where i bought my tv is not secure?

Is it always with you or in a certain place in your house only you know about? my ATM debit card got hacked 3 times with 2 different cards. I have never once used it as a debit card and only use the ATM in my freaking bank to get money once a month. So I'm thinking it must be the ATM because I never take it out of my wallet except monthly. All 3 times is was used in NYC. On 3rd card, haven't used it yet, don't feel like taking my criminals out to dinner in NYC yet.

The bank reversed the charges fast but the fact that I only use it there bugged me. I asked, "sure sounds like this is a problem with your ATM." They said it wasn't, someone was either hacking or they were using that thing to get your card number through your purse. Ridiculous, always the same card when I carry tons of them in my wallet and two totally different cards get re-hacked? I looked this up:

Criminals use RFID and NFC wireless communication to steal numbers
    The readers can be brought online or downloaded to phone via an app
    They have to stand six inches away while a transaction is being made
    Within a matter of seconds, the technology can pick up and store data
    A $300 machine can then replicate the card so it can be used elsewhere
    It is estimated 70% cards will soon be vulnerable to digital pick pocketing
    Cards can be protected from RFID skimmers by being wrapped in tin foil

So I guess mine must be getting it through my purse but the same card 2xs, new one once and all used in NYC? Besides, wouldn't it be more profitable to use the skimmers to get higher value cards? I don't get it but if it ever happens again, I'm switching banks. Only reason I didn't was because of the hassle to get everything new, learn new online banking while I am making stupid errors with the online banking for a decade.

Love the last solution, let's make hats to go with our fancy cards!

When my card was hacked, the card company called me (!). The guy on the line said the thieves will test out numbers until they get one. Stop busting yourself, it may have just been unhappy circumstance!

When my card information was stolen, I couldn't get them to give me any real information about how they thought it had been done, since I could name the places I had used it. Several months later, I received a letter from a credit card processing company that handles some of the places I had used it (hardware,software or both), admitting they were hacked.
    Other common schemes to get your card info are the above mentioned RFID readers (and why people want non RFID cards or blocking wallets). Using skimmers (either mounting them on something from an atm to a gas pump), to when they have your card in their possession, using a reader (could be the old style or something like the square). There are other ways as well that you would be shocked about, but I am not at liberty to say.
    I do ask, where is the card kept?

Bank ATM machines is one of the places we're told never to use credit or debit cards.
    I think deep in our hearts we know that our comforts, our conveniences are at the expense of other people. Grace Lee Boggs

I have a plain old ATM card, after getting hacked 3 times. Is that safe at my bank's own ATM since it is not being used as debit or credit?

I went back to the store and looked a bit. Their credit card machines seem up to date and when I asked, they said they've never had problems with it. (I made it sound like I'm opening a shop and need credit card machine reviews) Maybe I was just unlucky.

Even if it's your bank's card and their ATM machine, not for debit. Our credit union's ATM even has a sign that the card can be copied (not by the credit union). Also bad to use are gas station debit swiping. There is some kind of camera in both that and bank's that can read your PIN.
    I think deep in our hearts we know that our comforts, our conveniences are at the expense of other people. Grace Lee Boggs

so I've got the RFID blocking purse, the ATM card is still unsafe even though it's not a debit card, when used at the bank's ATM, during the day, no people around but employees? Otherwise, it sits in the RFID part of my purse for two months. It's getting ridiculous, I'm gonna start going up to the desk to get cash, it's 20 ft from the inside ATM.

Thread Information