Thread: 9 days into my CycleMonth

9 days into my CycleMonth

As I mentioned in another thread a little over a week ago, I am biking all distances under 4 miles (one way; 8 miles total).

This has been going well. All my little trips to the grocery, the bank, etc. have been work-outs. haha.

It dawned on me that cycling instead of driving is like printing my own money, but I get a work out too. So that is good!

But something startling occurred to me last night. I was just starting a 10 mile (give or take) drive to a community group meeting. I felt this feeling as though I was really inconvenienced by having to drive instead of bike. I felt like: "This sucks. I'd rather be cycling..."

If this emotional reaction grows, then I may be able to cultivate a resolve in myself to go car-free in a reasonable time frame.

Anybody else have revelations like this about going car-lite or car-free?

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    As I mentioned in another thread a little over a week ago, I am biking all distances under 4 miles (one way; 8 miles total).

This has been going well. All my little trips to the grocery, the bank, etc. have been work-outs. haha.

It dawned on me that cycling instead of driving is like printing my own money, but I get a work out too. So that is good!

But something startling occurred to me last night. I was just starting a 10 mile (give or take) drive to a community group meeting. I felt this feeling as though I was really inconvenienced by having to drive instead of bike. I felt like: "This sucks. I'd rather be cycling..."

If this emotional reaction grows, then I may be able to cultivate a resolve in myself to go car-free in a reasonable time frame.

Anybody else have revelations like this about going car-lite or car-free?
    while I'm glad you are on this site, you'd fit right in with Mr.Money Mustache. MMM is a bicycling fiend and yes, he thinks biking is printing money.

but there are several cyclists around here, hope they step up.

Often the deciding factor in doing something optional is whether I can walk or bike to get there.

I'm doing something similar with walking. Trying to walk instead of busing as much as possible, plus adding in extra walks. So far it's going really good. I missed 2 days of walking because I was mostly camping and there wasn't any walking/busing opportunities.
    But for the other days I've averaged walking 6.9 km (4.3 miles) / 80 minutes a day. I'm feeling the same way about busing that you are about driving. I bused to work today as I plan to walk about 2 hours this evening. But it felt lazy and annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestra View Post
    I'm doing something similar with walking. Trying to walk instead of busing as much as possible, plus adding in extra walks. So far it's going really good. I missed 2 days of walking because I was mostly camping and there wasn't any walking/busing opportunities.
    But for the other days I've averaged walking 6.9 km (4.3 miles) / 80 minutes a day. I'm feeling the same way about busing that you are about driving. I bused to work today as I plan to walk about 2 hours this evening. But it felt lazy and annoying.
    Very cool! 6.9 km is a lot!

I am thinking of working some bus routes into my cycling so I can extend my distance of travel outside 4 miles without using a car.

Thread Information