Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Random Education?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    I love to learn stuff. I believe the day I no longer want to learn how something new works is the day I am officially DEAD.
    To make Steve's quote my own.
    I was given a couple quick lessons, once, with a welder. I have had several things welded over the years, and know it is a good skill to have. With my unwanted overtime the last few years, when I came on a deal on a new welder (sold as used with all the accessories for the cost of just the welder), I jumped. There are local classes at a community college and I am trying to adjust my schedule so next spring I will take it. This isn't a work skill, but one you can take into many jobs and I would rather have some training, then just waste money on practice, with no foundation.
    We also have adult education, but it is VERY limited and I haven't seen any type of classes I want. (mostly things like English as a second language, basic computer use for seniors, how to use Word, etc) To get stuff I would be interested in, I would have to teach it (those who can't, teach).

My main thought about this was grumble @#$# I don't have the @#$# money!!! Which may be true right this minute, but I like taking cooking classes and I want to do music. I really want to take up different basically plucked or strum stringed instruments for maybe 6 months at a time and drop them to move on to new ones because there are too many I want to try (instruments can be rented so acquiring the instruments should not be a problem). I want to do the banjo, so badly. And then bass guitar. Maybe mostly those two, I like regular guitars but have been there done that. Then mandolin? A musical instrument to actually stick to long term: do singing again, I've done it before, that one I could stick to or did for years and then quit. My hands are not always up to doing all the stringed stuff anyway (sometimes they are good, sometimes not), work at a computer so it takes it's toll.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    My main thought about this was grumble @#$# I don't have the @#$# money!!! Which may be true right this minute, but I like taking cooking classes and I want to do music. I really want to take up different basically plucked or strum stringed instruments for maybe 6 months at a time and drop them to move on to new ones because there are too many I want to try (instruments can be rented so acquiring the instruments should not be a problem). I want to do the banjo, so badly. And then bass guitar. Maybe mostly those two, I like regular guitars but have been there done that. Then mandolin? A musical instrument to actually stick to long term: do singing again, I've done it before, that one I could stick to or did for years and then quit. My hands are not always up to doing all the stringed stuff anyway (sometimes they are good, sometimes not), work at a computer so it takes it's toll.
    part of ex's career is being a bass player, he claims it's an easy instrument to learn, self taught. If you ever played violin, that is very similar to mandolin fingering wise. DD plays violin, picked up mandolin and says it wasn't hard at all because of violin.

I find all of this incredibly hard so hats off to you for trying!

I really enjoy taking classes. I'm signed up this fall for a Drawing class, English Country Dance, Long Distance Trekking, and Water-wise Gardening. They vary in length from 2 sessions to 10 sessions. I've taken drawing before - the classes motivate me to draw a lot more in my free time. I'm just interested in the other stuff - very random - and it's great to learn first-hand from someone who really knows what they are talking about.

It's funny, because I never liked school - but I do like taking adult ed. classes. No grades, no long term commitment. I'm taking them through OLLI (Osher Lifelong Learning Institute.) It costs $125 for as many classes as you want to take in a year. Lots of classes to choose from, too.

I'm semi-retired now (working 2 days per week) and taking the classes gives more structure to my week. As a very reserved introvert, it's also a painless way for me to get a little socializing - and maybe make a friend or two one of these days.

this sounds nice!

Thread Information