Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Most impactful items you have downsized/decluttered/gotten rid of?

Most impactful items you have downsized/decluttered/gotten rid of?

I was reading Rob Greenfield's blog and this post seemed interesting, 10 Things You Should Get Rid Of Today.

http://robgreenfield.tv/ditchit/

But it made me think, what are some of the things that I got rid of during my right-sizing that impacted my life in profound ways?

(In no real order...)

1. My second fishing pole. Having two lines in the water distracted me from enjoying the entirety of fishing, it felt busy sometimes, almost like work.
    2. Photos. By getting rid of virtually all my photos (from probably 10,000 in hard copy to zero, and probably 1,000 digital to, I dunno, 5 at any given point) I can be present in the moment and have more vivid memories.
    3. Deep-fryer. Now when I deep fry my fish it is only once a week or less because I have to do it the old fashioned way -- in a steel pot. When I had the deep fryer it was more like 3 times a week, sometimes 4!
    4. Emails. Having an inbox with around 10 emails in it at any given time is nice! I know people with 13,000 or more unread emails. They ain't never getting to them!
    5. Cell phone. So, so glad I am not a cell phone owner. I hope I can stay this way for the rest of my life. I doubt it, but I am enjoying being cell-phone free for now.

Anyway, that is a handful of the things I tossed that really improved my life.

What are yours?

My 3 kids. When they moved out most of our stuff went with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    My 3 kids. When they moved out most of our stuff went with them.
    LOL!

The ex.

But recently, I think downsizing my book collection has had a big impact on me. I still have a lot of books, but I've boxed up a few boxes over the past year or so and donated probably 20 or 30 books. I think I used to keep books as a sort of status symbol (look at me! I'm so SMRT! I have lots of books! I know things!) but now I am keeping them confined to one bookcase (and hubby's books are in here too!).

Quote Originally Posted by dinah View Post
    The ex.
    lol!

I think my books give me a (false) sense of security. At any time, I could sew a dress, make a candle or a couch, bake a beef wellington, understand astrophysics, converse fluently about the history of Macedonia. Not so much Smart! but Prepared! It's self-soothing nonsense, unless one actually opens the books, practices, and learns, but it feels reassuring anyway.

Dinah, I did the same thing...the (now) ex-husband and the books! I, too, clung to books for psychological security but also for ego bolstering. I'm ashamed to say I was secretly very intellectually vain and would be thrilled when guests would ask wonderingly, "Have you actually read ALL those books?" I would feign modesty as I would answer that yes, I had...many of them several times. But it was all b.s--even though I had actually read them all. I didn't feel good about anything else I was doing in my life, so being "well read" was all I had left to cling to as a mark of "worthiness."

Giving them up was hard...it really was like losing old friends. But I've only replaced a tiny portion of these books, and now they all fit in one bookcase. Let me tell you, they're a lot easier and cheaper to move now than when I had seven full, floor-to-ceiling bookcases!

Yes, I think everyone knows mine already:
    - the ex
    - the house
    - the car
    - the job
    - the pets

All these make life so much better.
    Edited to add: Oh wait, also the big furniture - mattress/boxspring, a desk, kitchen table. All gone!

Quote Originally Posted by Kestra View Post
    Yes, I think everyone knows mine already:
    - the ex
    - the house
    - the car
    - the job
    - pets

All these make life so much better.
    You all must not have liked your exes at all! lol

Wait... Kestra, you ditched your pets?!

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    You all must not have liked your exes at all! lol

Wait... Kestra, you ditched your pets?!
    Mostly just didn't replace them when they died and vowed to not get more. I did re-home a few to better situations but that was many, many years ago. It's hard when you work in a vet clinic - there are free pets everywhere.

Thread Information