Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Most impactful items you have downsized/decluttered/gotten rid of?

Quote Originally Posted by Kestra View Post
    Mostly just didn't replace them when they died and vowed to not get more. I did re-home a few to better situations but that was many, many years ago. It's hard when you work in a vet clinic - there are free pets everywhere.
    Ah, I see.

When Harlan passes away (he is only 6) I am done owning pets. I think I will volunteer at a rescue or donated some $ to one though.

As our pets die we will only have 1 due to the fact that I don't want to burden my kids with a bunch of dogs. We have 4 that are all very old. I got rid of most of my books, diplomas, clothes, niknaks, yearbooks, etc .

Probably selling our last house. It was 1000sf more, vast closets, swimming pool, out in the burbs. Our quality of life vastly improved by moving into the heart of the city to a smaller house.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Probably selling our last house. It was 1000sf more, vast closets, swimming pool, out in the burbs. Our quality of life vastly improved by moving into the heart of the city to a smaller house.
    Very cool!

My 3 academic degrees, all my photos of my family of origin and first long relationship, everything before 1997. Almost all my books and I had hundreds (have a PHD in contemporary American poetry), almost all books that don't relate to a practical skill like medical/nutritional care of my animals (I have about 15 books, which feels like too many), most dishes and cookware, most furniture. Feels much better.
    I think deep in our hearts we know that our comforts, our conveniences are at the expense of other people. Grace Lee Boggs

As with everyone else, I've gotten rid of quite a few books from the house. I tell people that I let the library store my books and dvds now. LOL.
    Also, clothes... getting rid of things that haven't fit in years or every time I pulled them out to wear, I immediately put them back - gone.
    Papers - found on the internet a list by Suzan Orman(?know the name is spelled wrong) of what papers to keep and for how long. Keeping papers controlled has made a HUGE difference!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I'm a notorious cardboard box keeper. I love boxes! I love organizing all my shelves and drawers, and I can cut these to the perfect size and shape and I'm perfectly organized! Truth. But I do have to get rid of some occasionally, and not save every box that comes from FedEx or UPS or whatever.

I don't have many clothes, so that's not an issue. I mean, I have ENOUGH clothes: Sunday-go-to-meeting clothes, going-out-in-public clothes, and around-the-house clothes. And I only own two pair of shoes -- good pair, and not-so-good pair. Mostly I go barefoot in the house.

And yes, I'm downsizing my books as well. Our church (UU) sells gently-used appropriate books and CDs and the like, and that's where my "cast-offs" go. But some I have to keep forever. All my John Steinbeck and Ray Bradbury books . And Robert Fulghum books -- he came to our church once, did a service, and autographed books for everyone. He's really cool.

What I would like to GET RID of are two sets of silver and one set of china. All good stuff. Probably cost a pretty penny many many years ago when they were used. They're "family heirlooms" from DH's side, and he can't seem to part with them. And our kids don't want them.

More to do ... we're in our early '70s now, and we have a lot to go through so our kids don't have to ...

Quote Originally Posted by Francie View Post
    I'm a notorious cardboard box keeper. I love boxes! I love organizing all my shelves and drawers, and I can cut these to the perfect size and shape and I'm perfectly organized! Truth. But I do have to get rid of some occasionally, and not save every box that comes from FedEx or UPS or whatever.

I don't have many clothes, so that's not an issue. I mean, I have ENOUGH clothes: Sunday-go-to-meeting clothes, going-out-in-public clothes, and around-the-house clothes. And I only own two pair of shoes -- good pair, and not-so-good pair. Mostly I go barefoot in the house.

And yes, I'm downsizing my books as well. Our church (UU) sells gently-used appropriate books and CDs and the like, and that's where my "cast-offs" go. But some I have to keep forever. All my John Steinbeck and Ray Bradbury books . And Robert Fulghum books -- he came to our church once, did a service, and autographed books for everyone. He's really cool.

What I would like to GET RID of are two sets of silver and one set of china. All good stuff. Probably cost a pretty penny many many years ago when they were used. They're "family heirlooms" from DH's side, and he can't seem to part with them. And our kids don't want them.

More to do ... we're in our early '70s now, and we have a lot to go through so our kids don't have to ...
    I commend you all for thinking ahead. It is not easy, but it surely is the right thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    lol!
    + 1 million

Quote Originally Posted by Kestra View Post
    It's hard when you work in a vet clinic - there are free pets everywhere.
    I could never work there, God bless you. I would become the crazy dog hoarder who gets paid a visit from Animal Control about her 23 dogs disturbing the neighbors and I'd stand there going, "23 dogs? I don't have 23 dogs, see I have two. NO you cannot come in," down hill from there. Seriously, I can handle 2, 3 was a bit much.

Thread Information