Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Free job perks

Free job perks

I am particularly interested in "types" of jobs, and actual jobs that forum members have or have had recently, that have free valuable perks. Volunteer minimum wage jobs included.

Quote Originally Posted by Packratona! View Post
    I am particularly interested in "types" of jobs, and actual jobs that forum members have or have had recently, that have free valuable perks. Volunteer minimum wage jobs included.
    I get free parking and free university tuition through the doctoral level (if I were insane enough to do that). I am a researcher at a university.

I used to work for a labor union as a researcher. I got all my food for free up to $35 a day M-F. Restaurants, groceries, Quicky Marts, etc.

I get:

- free/reduced health club membership, & access to workout equipment/training on-the-job
    - *lots* of free medical monitoring/care - bloodwork, cardiac/respiratory testing, ...
    - free/reduced-cost food at work - breakfast/lunch/dinner
    - free room a couple of nights a week if I wish to stay at the station. I could live at the station if I committed to covering a certain number of scheduled shifts a week.
    - health/wellness consulting

Work from home and flexible work hours were my biggest. Also companies paying for education, especially if you can potentially use it elsewhere is really nice.

Williamsmith
    I get free golf. Golf is an expensive game.

If we get medical care where I work, they don't bill me or my husband for any copays.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    I used to work for a labor union as a researcher. I got all my food for free up to $35 a day M-F. Restaurants, groceries, Quicky Marts, etc.
    why are companies doing that? 35 bucks a day is a lot, they could offer better benefits instead.

I knew it was like this in the tech world but had no idea it happened at many other jobs

we get a turkey as our yearly bonus, the week AFTER Thanksgiving, lol

access to exercise equipment on the main campus but it is in another city

EAP program

minimal tuition reimbursement that was job related and for each year you used it, you owed a year back when you were done with school. BAD deal, a ton of new NPs, no jobs for most of them in the system so had to pay back all those years as a regular nurse. Although, we are bigger now, you probably could find a NP job if you were willing to move to another state

if you got your medical care through them, the insurance was reasonable. Though I am finding out the hard way all the expensive tests they don't do in our huge system (makes no sense) and will be paying thousands for tests that only the competitor offered. That's changing Jan 1 when new insurance takes effect.

cheap, generic OTC drugs

50k in life insurance

disability benefits

a 403B that changes providers it seems like yearly, the latest has the exact Vanguard funds I wanted, mediocre match. Old defined benefit pension that is frozen, after 20 years, my pension was worth 30k so thank God for403Bs

discounted cafeteria food if you happen to be in the other city. The last time I used it, someone was in the hospital so someone else and I went to grab a quick dinner, when it rang up I said I had the employee discount, she said she knew and I had saved 33cents on two meals! I have to laugh, they list this as an actual benefit at benefit fairs.

FSA/HSA

allowed to do documentation at home

Hugs. (I teach)

The "employee fitness program" (I teach on the third floor of a walk up high ceilinged building - some of the equipment I need is kept in the sub basement)

Sometimes cupcakes (on birthdays) and gifts like candles and soap and candy and hand drawn pictures.

Lunch 3x a year. The Christmas lunch is amazing. Parents make us really healthy yummy stuff from scratch! The beginning of the year and end of the year lunches are ok.

Chemical free blood pressure adjustment (I have to monitor my blood pressure - when the technician took it yesterday on my day off it was 132/88. Today, after 6 hours with my kids, it was 107/73.)

One paid sick day.

Seriously. The only "official benefit" of my job is one paid sick day. And one of my goals is to not have to take it. Because then I miss a whole day of being at work. And my blood pressure goes up. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    Hugs. (I teach)

One paid sick day.

Seriously. The only "official benefit" of my job is one paid sick day. And one of my goals is to not have to take it. Because then I miss a whole day of being at work. And my blood pressure goes up. ;-)
    is this a public school? Ours are unionized and pretty powerful. Is that even legal to give one single day to be sick? Do you get holidays, vacation days? We just get hours in a bank to be used at our discretion.

we used to have a decent Christmas party at a nice live jazz club, fun, we'd have our own room. The ONE year i couldn't go, I start hearing that all these staff took their shirts off, walking around in bras until going home! Even this extremely introverted, no drinking social worker did it. I thought I was being punked. We go into morning meeting, the director is there and just by looking at her face, I realized holy crap, they really did do this! We got chastised for representing our company by "stripping", in a room that had a Welcome, Hospice sign in front of it. She could not contain her fury, she said, and she slammed out of the room. Meanwhile, once I believed it had happened, I could not keep from laughing, so I was coughing and making no eye contact. The more the director said "my employees, nurses to boot, STRIPPING in a public place", the harder it got not to burst out into full blown laughter and asking if anyone had recorded it, per chance? Then I thought, could they lose their jobs? And that wasn't funny.

So the fall out was no parties outside of the office ever again. They allot a decent amount for this party. This year, when we came in the morning of the party at 8am, they had 2 cheese pizzas, 1 bottle of soda, and there were a dozen cookies on a platter. And there had to be 45 people there. Where do you even get pizza at 8 am? People dive bombed the food, it's gone in a matter of minutes and there was nothing for the remaining 30.

So were going to suggest they give the allotted amount and we'll plan something nice and fully clothed? Sigh, now I will never know a Hospice Christmas Party again. And damn it, I missed the very best one!

Thread Information