Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5.4 Earths!? Environmental footprint calculator results

5.4 Earths!? Environmental footprint calculator results

This environmental/ecological/carbon footprint calculator http://www.footprintnetwork.org/en/i...e/calculators/ is really interesting.

Apparently for everyone in the world to live the life of The UltraliteAngler we'd need access to the resources of 5.4 Earths! Whoa!

Take a few minutes if you like and play with the calculator.

How many Earths do we need for your lifestyle?

Yeah, I've done that calculator before and it's a huge wake-up call for people feeling all smug and sanctimonious about environmental efforts such as recycling and driving fuel efficient cars (like me).

I think Jim Merkel (Radical Simplicity) had something to do with the programming of this calculator--as many may know, he was a military engineer until he had a huge "conversion" moment when the Exxon Valdez accident occurred. It spurred him to change his life drastically so that he would no longer be forced to support the military-industrial complex via tax dollars, so he lived on $5,000 a year for several years.

We probably would ALL have to live in a cabin like he does, on $5k a year, in order to accomplish a truly sustainable footprint.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Yeah, I've done that calculator before and it's a huge wake-up call for people feeling all smug and sanctimonious about environmental efforts such as recycling and driving fuel efficient cars (like me).

I think Jim Merkel (Radical Simplicity) had something to do with the programming of this calculator--as many may know, he was a military engineer until he had a huge "conversion" moment when the Exxon Valdez accident occurred. It spurred him to change his life drastically so that he would no longer be forced to support the military-industrial complex via tax dollars, so he lived on $5,000 a year for several years.

We probably would ALL have to live in a cabin like he does, on $5k a year, in order to accomplish a truly sustainable footprint.
    My 5.4 Earths is just so many!

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    There's another knob you can turn. Population level/density....

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    There's another knob you can turn. Population level/density....
    Whatcha mean?

So that model multiplies the load-per-individual by the number-of-individuals to come up with the total load for the population, then compares to the Earth's capabilities.

Fewer people, less total load...

So that model multiplies the load-per-individual by the number-of-individuals to come up with the total load for the population, then compares to the Earth's capabilities.

Okay, I see what you meant in the other reply.

Is that how that particular model is constructed? I'm not challenging.. just asking. I'm not an engineer, so help me understand whether or not a "footprint" model like this could compute one's footprint on an individual level as well: in other words, calculate the degree to which you are returning to the earth just what you extracted and no more.

I agree that the birth date (and the declining mortality rate) are not helping.. I'm not arguing that. But I also agree with Charles Eisenstein that sometimes the population argument is a red herring, and that we need the two-pronged solution of the birth rate and mortality rate matching up better as well as drastically reducing consumption.

http://charleseisenstein.net/concern...s-the-problem/
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Charles is quite the optimist!

The calculator may not be 100% accurate but it is interesting!

I am shocked the way you describe your lifestyle. I only require 4 earths. It would be interesting to share our detailed answers for understanding. I know if I would quit the "meat with legs" mine would be lower but I have some every day and occasionally twice. I know that takes a ton of earth and water.

But even the detailed answers are hugely varied. Car mileage 15-30 range? Well hell, that's half the mileage and that could be ginormously different carbon for folks who drive far regularly.

I think it's more a relative barometer for awareness and mindful choices rather than a valuable resource.

Thread Information